Series 2 TiVo + DirecTV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TedE, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 10
    TedE

TedE New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    We love our beloved ol' Series 2 TiVo but have had it up to here with the #*%*@ cable company. DirecTV is starting to look pretty good... but how does it connect to other TVs in the house? We currently have RG-59U coax feeding all rooms, but there are only two of us so we don’t use the older, secondary SD TVs much.

Cat-5 connects the TiVo, Apple TV and computer to each other and the internet.

I’m assuming DirecTV does not offer anything like “raw cable” analogue or digital (qam) feeds that would use the built-in tuners in our older SD TVs.

So here’s what I’m guessing we should do:

1. DirecTV HD box to our (only) HDTV. It appears this will include a DirecTV DVR. Meh.

2. DirecTV SD box to our existing Series 2 TiVo (Single Tuner). (HD playback is not critical to us.)

3. Third DirecTV SD box branching off to four other TVs via existing RF coax. (Kitchen, laundry room, den, bedroom. These TVs are rarely used and do not need independent boxes or DVR playback.)

Will this work? Are there better options? TIA!

2. Dec 5, 2011 #2 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You forgot to specify exactly which model number S2 you have.

Time-Warner victim, perchance?

3. Dec 5, 2011 #3 of 10
    TedE

TedE New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    You forgot to specify exactly which model number S2 you have.
    Dunno. Early single tuner model,without the control buttons on the front panel. Analogue RF, S-Video and Composite (RCA) inputs. The box itself is difficult to get to. The on-screen ”System“ screen offers a ”Service Number,“ but I don't think that's it.
    Time-Warner victim, perchance?
    Nope. Wide Open West. Death by a Thousand Cuts.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #4 of 10
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The first 3 digits of the service number will tell us what model it is, just not how big a hard drive it came with, which would be the second part of the model number.

For instance if it were 240 you might have a TCD240040 (40GB drive) or a TCD240080 (80GB drive), but except for drive size it's the same model.

I'm guessing a lot of those cuts are removal of analog channels?

5. Dec 5, 2011 #5 of 10
    TedE

TedE New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Full number is 240-0001-F021-2A3C.
    ...hose cuts are removal of analog channels?
    That was the start. Their D=>A converter is a hunk o' junk... they charged us $40 for an unnecessary ”installation,“ I had to repair what the tech screwed up... etc. After ten years or so of being a satisfied customer, we now have the feeling that the company has hired someone whose entire job is to think up something new to annoy us every month.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 10
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, I've lied to a 240 about having satellite service so as to activate the line inputs, so it should work with a real satellite receiver just fine.

You have to go back into setup and tell it you have satellite (might as well lie and also tell it you have antenna--which back then was analog NTSC over the air--that way you can feed an old VCR or something into the TiVo's tuner and tune to channel 2 or 3 or 4, depending on what the other thing will put out), and when you do, have the satellite receiver already plugged into the TiVo's line inputs and feeding it a video signal for the TiVo to detect for setup to work properly.

If you bought that TiVo new, and saved the stuff that came with it, you should have a cable with a 1/8" plug on one end and IR LEDs on the other that you'll need to plug into the IR jack on the back of the TiVo so that it can change channels on the satellite receiver.

Someone else will have to advise you about that third set feeding 4 TVs, although I suppose it's doable.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #7 of 10
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    This is how by system is set up with my satellite provider, which I actively use three receivers:

• Lounge TV: NON DVR HD receiver, to HDTV.
    • TiVo: SD receiver connnects to TiVo with S-video, Audio, IR, TiVo connects to TV with S-video, audio. TiVo connects to other TVs with RF, ad a remote extender setup.
    • SD receiver on old CRT TV in living room.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 10
    TedE

TedE New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Thanks, everybody!

I'm the original (lifetime) owner. Over the past ≈10 years and 2 (3?) cable companies I've fed the TiVo with raw analogue cable, a couple of cable boxes, and now a D=>A converter. Hunk o' junk... RF Ch 3/4 mono output I'm used to changing the Setup, but never would have thought of “lying to” the TiVo to trick the input selection. Kewl! Thanks, Unitron!

And Classicsat — your setup sounds like it's doing exactly what I want to do, but with a couple of clever improvements. Thanks!

Guess it's time to call DTV and see what's available this week. Thanx again! —Ted E.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 10
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, there is a new DirecTiVo just out (after several years of "development", for a while it was the Duke Nukem Forever of the DVR world), and there's at least one thread devoted to it here at TCF. Suggest you do a lot of research on it before taking the leap.

10. TedE

TedE New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Agreed... I've been following the endless DirecTV TiVo drama. An HDTV pix isn't important to us (low vision — I can't appreciate the difference unless my nose is 6” from the screen, and my wife doesn't care.)

We'll adda DirecTV TiVo to the order only if the lifetime deal is transferrable at a reasonable cost. Thanx again!