Series 2 Tivo and New Cable Box Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...

Advertisements

My cable company (Cox) just stopped supporting my old cable boxes, so they sent me two new cable boxes. Got everything set up okay except for one big problem: when I go to change the channel changing menu, and it prompts me for the brands of cable boxes, this new brand of cable box isn't listed. (Its a Cisco.) Is there another name this brand could be listed under, or some way I could have it added to the list, or am I just out of luck because this is an old box and can't change channels for me? Any suggestions? (Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a new Tivo.)

2. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I had done some searching before I posted this, and didn't find anything recent, so I continued searching this forum afterward, and found an older thread that helped me find a solution. So I'd like to post what I did for the Cox Cable customers like me who are just getting their new cable boxes and have an older machine like I do.

I found the solution in this thread:

Cisco, Brighthouse & Series 2

Much thanks to Unitron for posting his solution. To update on what he said to do and apply it to the current Cisco cable box I have (Explorer Model 4642HDC) "Scientific American" is no longer an option, its listed as "Scientific Atlanta" and the Tivo actually found codes that worked in changing the channels, it wasn't necessary to manually enter and set the channel setting options, it did everything all on its own. Thanks to everyone who checked this thread to see if they could help. I would delete the post, but I want to leave it here in case its helpful to others.

Thanks again, Tivo community! I am so *relieved* I will still be able to use my Tivo! :)

dianebrat, krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the post, should it benefit others. :thumbsup:

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'm betting that when unitron said "Scientific American" he meant to say "Scientific Atlanta" as the former doesn't exist.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Contrary to what scandia101 might have you might believe, "Scientific American" is still actively publishing new material; I have last month's issue open on my coffee table as I write this.

Unfortunately I can no longer use it to turn off my TV because it (my TV, not the magazine) no longer has an external button accessible to thrown objects.

dianebrat and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You're bad. :cool: