Series 2 Tivo and HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Nov 12, 2019.

1. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I did several searches and found somewhat related topics, but didn't see anything that told me what I could/should do, so apologies if this has already been covered, either I didn't find it, or I didn't understand that I found the answer.

Just finished a big 1,400 mile move, including a new cable provider. The cable company's self install boxes arrived the day before I did, and I started the install but ran into a big snag in terms of equipment compatibility. I have a Series 2 Tivo (with composite video connections, S Video connections, etc.) and an older TV. Can't afford to replace/upgrade either. The new cable provider's cable box (its Spectrum in the PNW, if that makes any difference) has an HDMI cable which is not an option on either the TV or the Tivo.

What, if any, are my options? I understand I'd lose the HD quality and I'm totally okay with that, but is there some sort of converting device I could purchase to convert the HDMI connection to something that would be compatible with a Series 2 Tivo? The Spectrum box does have white and red composite connections for the audio, but no apparent alternatives for the video. Any recommendations for what I could/should do, short of upgrading equipment (which is not financially feasible)? Or am I just SOL?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    So in your previous home, your S2 was hooked to a "cable box"? I have an S2DT that was functioning fine when I retired it in 2009, sitting in a box in my basement. It hooked directly to the cable TV cable, but that was back when my cable system had analog channels. Now it's all digital so my S2 would not work. Do some cable STB's used with all-digital systems provide an analog cable output spigot, and can be tuned via an S2?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What you have is old analog tv and Tivo. If the Tivo doesn't have a lifetime service, forget about trying to get Tivo service on it. It would not be activated any more and would be useless.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can ask Spectrum for a Digital Transport Adapter or an old-style cable box, and hook it up to your S2 with analog (yellow, red, white) RCA cables. You will also need to use the IR blaster that came with the TiVo to change the channels on the DTA.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  5. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Thank you. I have the IR blasters as well as the analog RCA cables. I'll do that.

Yes, actually my S2 has been in continuous use since I purchased it in 2000. My previous cable company (Cox Communications) even did a mandatory cable box upgrade a couple of months ago, and I was still able to hook up the new cable box to the Tivo and use the IR blasters to change channels, so I guess that's why I didn't anticipate this problem. Just a few months ago with a different company, this was not a problem for me (and still wouldn't be, if I still lived there.)

The Tivo does have lifetime service and has been working continuously since 2000.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    2002 for a Series 2, not that it's still not impressive however :)

7. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Oh yes, you're right, my bad. I bought my Series 1 in 2000, and then bought several Series 2s as soon as they came out. I was a pretty early adopter and still think Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    My first Tivo was a Series 1, which I had won on some contest over the internet (dialup :eek:) and service was the responsibility of the receiver. It was $199 for lifetime and service calls was also dialup.

9. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I still use a dual tuner series 2. I have a DTA from the cable company. The digital cable connects to the DTA. From the DTA a coax cable connects to the TiVo, and then another coax cable from the TiVo to the TV. The TiVo controls the channels with an ir blaster. There is only limited channels available from the DTA. The Series 2 will also play the low definition recordings from my other TiVo's as well as play the files served by PyTivo and re-encoded if needed. The DTA was no cost add on from my cable company, as I got it when they first changed from analog to digital and I do have a high def subscription for my living room TV.

10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  11. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Update (in case its useful for others who experience this in the future, either with Spectrum or another cable company): called the cable provider this morning, and they told me they had a different cable box they could ship to me and I could swap out and return the first one. Tech told me he'd transfer me to someone else and tell them what I needed, but when he put me through, she said she had no idea what I was talking about, he told her nothing, and she couldn't do anything because I didn't have the PIN (family member set up the account for me since they are local, and I didn't know it yet). Ah, the joys of helpful cable company operators. So I hung up and asked my relative to call them and try. In the meantime, another family member showed up with an HDMI to RCA converter, which partially worked, I was now getting a test pattern signal, so I assumed the system had some sort of protection that was preventing a pass through to avoid theft of service. Called Spectrum again to ask if I was just messing up somehow, or was wasting my time, and they said sometimes those converters work, sometimes they don't. But this fellow was more willing to be helpful than his morning counterparts, and he scheduled for a technician to come out in the morning with the proper cable box (at no additional charge) that will work with my Tivo's connections. Even without the dang PIN. So it sounds like it'll be resolved tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for their assistance.

Ah yes, I remember the dial up days. I actually bought my Tivo after seeing a late night infomercial for a rival product, can't even remember what it was called (started with a P, maybe?), but I did some research and chose to purchase a Tivo instead because the competitive product couldn't guarantee whether a program would be recorded or not, you'd never know if there was enough space to record a program or not, or whether it would even try. Then I bought one for my parents. And I won a 15 hour (or was it 14 hour?) Tivo in a Tivo essay writing contest describing why you deserved to win one (I wrote that Data from STTNG said one of Dr. Noonian Singh's ancestors - moi - adapted a Tivo to make first contact, that's what won me the Tivo), bought lifetime service for it, and gave it as a wedding present to my sister and BIL.

Mikeguy likes this.