Series 2 Tivo and Directv

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by alperinge, Oct 9, 2007.

1. alperinge

alperinge New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I have one of the original Series 2 Tivos with a lifetime subscription. A few months ago, I switched to Directv and as a result, my tivo has gone unused because my non-HD Directv box does not have the serial connection in the back (I've found the IR adapter's reliability to be spotty at best). I spoke with Directv and they said they no longer manufacture the boxes that are compatible with stand alone Tivo units, but I could find some on the internet, but they couldn't tell me which units they were.

Does anyone know which Directv units work with the original Series 2 Tivo when connected with the serial cable? If I knew a model number, then I'm confident a quick search on Ebay would find what I needed.

Thanks in advance!

2. apsmith21

apsmith21 New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Here's what I did - my directv (non hd receiver) is only a year old and I'm using an IR connection on my Series 2. My connection was spotty as well, but I ended up putting a sheet of tin foil to cover the IR photogate (or whatever they call it) and the front of my directv box. For the most part, it works flawlessly...although I do occassional have to unplug / plug in the directv box. Being on all the time makes it go wonky once in a while.

Perhaps that will work for you as well?

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    The D10 still accepts the standard serial cable. The D11 and D12 will work with the PatersonTech Translator device in place of the older cable. The translator connects to the TiVo serial port and the DTV USB port.

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    The IR blasters should be 98% or more effective. If they are not, then there is something wrong. As suggested, try a tinfoil "tent" before going to the expense of buying a new receiver.