Series 2 stuck at "Welcome. Powering up..." with all lights solid

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Restlessmonkey, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Restlessmonkey

Restlessmonkey New Member

Oct 20, 2015

Advertisements

Hi
    My lifetime Series 2 will not boot and is stuck at the gray welcome powering up screen. All LEDs appear to be solid - green and amber on left, red and amber on right. Any hope for it? Somewhere in the house is the original HD. Has an upgraded HD in it from many moons ago.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    RM

PS - if it is dead beyond repair, I'll pause a moment as I'm watching on one of the Roamios in remembrance. :)

2. Restlessmonkey

Oct 20, 2015
    After my initial sadness, read a bit more on the power up message.
    Probably the WD3200AVJB hard drive that failed. Wow, 320GB lasted about 11 years. Not bad. I don't care about the contents. Just wanted to boot it up so it could connect.

Now I wonder so I look for the old original hard drive or just buy a refurb $99 160GB drive.

Decisions decisions. Can I do anything else with the lifetime license or has that horse already left the barn?

Thanks
    RM

3. Restlessmonkey

Oct 20, 2015
    Oh, it is a TCD140060.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's not impossible that you have a power supply problem (most likely due to "capacitor plague"--the cause of problems with power supplies in all of the Series 2 and Series 3 models, as well as countless other consumer electronics devices from that era), but when the first Welcome screen (which is on a chip on the motherboard somewhere) comes up and it never moves on to the Just a few more minutes screen (which is on the hard drive somewhere) it usually means there's something preventing the motherboard from communicating properly with the hard drive.

This could be due to the drive not being connected at all (or even in the unit), having a faulty connection (cable not fully seated or cable gone bad), the drive not getting enough power to spin up properly (plug not fully seated or plug/cable gone bad, or power supply not able to provide enough current to run drive as well as motherboard), or it could be that the drive has gone bad.

Do you have any spare IDE/PATA drives around at least as big, in LBA number, as the original drive, which would have been a 60GB but might have been a Maxtor which had a slightly higher LBA number than Seagates or WDs of the same era?

That way we could load an image on it and see if the rest of the TiVo is okay.

If you were going to actually purchase a new drive you should get a 1TB SATA and an adapter with a JMicron or Marvell chipset--there's a thread about adapters around here somewhere.