series 2 SA to be used as recorder only

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sstudios88, Jul 11, 2007.

1. sstudios88

sstudios88 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Advertisements

I 've read in the FAQ that there is third party software that allows you to use your Tivo SA series 2 as a hard disk recorder ONLY without all the guides and bells and whistles... which is what I would like to do... can anyone point me to some good reading on this topic... I am not interested in upgrading the hard drive or connecting to the internet or using guides right now until I learn more... I just want to use my SA tivo series 2 TDC2004A as hard disk recorder only... thanks for any help in advance... this forum rocks by the way... lots of good info and reading... thanks again...

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    A TiVo requires service. Period.

3. sstudios88

sstudios88 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    so even after people upgrade their hardrive with sapper( for example) and are able to utilize the internet and other features... you still need a subscription to even use tivo as a hard disk recorder? tivo was given to me and I just want to use it as a recorder... can't afford the extra 13.00/month for sub... thanks for your help..

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Well, that's the theory, but one can read through this forum and find reports of some series two boxes that still function fine (without hacking) as a manual recorder long after the box has been cancelled.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

There is an off chance a canceled box will manually record without service. It is not supposed to, and there is no guarantee it will.

As for forcing a canceled box to work without paid service (even by installing an alternate software), that is considered theft of service here and therefore a forbidden topic.

The Sapper script is only for adding some system hacks, nothing to make it work without service.

If you don't want to subscribe to have a DVR, you don't want that TiVo.