1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 S03 and Clear Program Info & ToDo list Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fonzo, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM.

1. fonzo

fonzo New Member

Wednesday
    Wow, where to start...
    My original Tivo drive got thrown out. I had upgraded it from a 40 to a 200gig years ago. The 200 gig drive had been giving me blocky playback issues for a while. I had tried running a drive check/repair software on it a while back but it found nothing. Very recently it started giving me S03 errors. I ran the Kickstart 57 procedure and then it seemed to be fine. I had it unplugged it for a week or 2 and when I tried to download guide info I got S03 and no matter what I tried still got S03. So, I copied the drive to a 300gig using WinMFS since I thought the 200gig drive was dying. The 300gig drive booted up and looked fine, but still got S03. Tried kickstart 57 on it and still got S03. I searched this site and saw recommendations to run Clear Program Info & ToDo list. I started that about 3 hours ago and it's still running...
    What the heck do I do at this point?
    Thanks for any help provided.

BTW, I don't think it matters, but I'm recording off of satellite(Dish) with the cheapest package.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM
  2. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just leave it alone takes a long time at least 4 hours maybe more.

3. fonzo

fonzo New Member

Wednesday
    What makes it take that long? The Tivo of course says 1 hour.
    Does it have something to do with corrupted data or the size of data needed deleted?
    I'm just trying to understand the workings of this crazy Tivo.
    Thank you for your original, quick reply.

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It just takes a while. If you want to avoid the S03 error, keep your TiVo connected. If it has to download multiple full 12+ day guide updates, that is often one way to trigger S03. Sometimes if you just let it keep doing S03, after a few days it'll clear up. Alternatively, if you just are turning the unit on every once in a while to keep it active, configure it for OTA. Usually you won't get S03 with OTA because the guide data set is much smaller. There might be other reasons you are getting S03. I'm just listing a common reason for older units.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 7:08 PM
  5. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would guess the hour thing is from days of 60 channels. After it finishes will also take quite awhile to download then load then organize too.

6. fonzo

fonzo New Member

Wednesday
    Well, it's up and running again :)
    Thank you for the information and encouragement.
    I have 2 questions.
    1) How many days would it be "safe" to have it unplugged before having to plug it back in to avoid this s03 problem?
    2) I think I know the answer to this, but does Tivo have/sell a newer unit that records satellite?
    Thanks in advance.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    On cable I was getting by turning one on every 5 days, but eventually it would get skipped and hit S03. If I hit 2 full guide downloads, it would almost 100% trigger S03.

I ended up configuring that one for OTA and now I can leave it unplugged for long periods of time with no issue.

This is with Series3 though. Series2 I get S03 errors less frequently.

8. fonzo

fonzo New Member

Wednesday
    Ok, but I'm assuming that the one you configured for OTA you were really not using.
    At this point I use mine basically only to record 1 football game each week via satellite because where I live (in the boonies) OTA channels are not reliable enough to use as a source.
    It might be an option when I'm not really using it to record anything.

9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So it isn't an option to leave the unit connected all the time, or is that what you are already doing when you encounter S03?

Perhaps you could configure for a cable provider with smaller channel guide, then set up the manual record using the channel # and the time. You'd lose the guide information replaced with something like manual record 1-4:30pm on ch4, but likely could avoid S03. I don't remember how S2s work with DirecTV and if this is even possible that they would provide the IR to work with satellite receiver if you choose a cable provider.

Not saying this will work for you, but just trying to think outside the box.

The root cause is usually your TiVo unit needing to process too much data at one time. If you can do anything to alleviate that, you can usually avoid the S03 issue.