Series 2 power cord problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timr_42, Sep 1, 2011.

1. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    One of my S2's power cord connector(don't know the correct term) is loose. The tivo will not receive power unless I pull the cord very hard to the right so it makes a good connection.

The connector is very loose. I took the cover of the tivo off and can wiggle it.

Does anyone know how I can either tighten the thing or replace it? I have an old S1 that I could part out if need be.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Probably the easiest thing to do is replace the entire power supply. It may seem a little daunting, but I believe it is relatively easy(though you will need to be extremely careful).

First off though, is your service lifetime, or a term payment plan(monthly, annual, etc). If it is anything but lifetime, you can just transfer another complete unit of any type(except Premiere)on the service.

Used Series 2 units are very cheap nowadays on ebay. $15 to $40 or so.

If your subscription is for lifetime, you can buy another of the exact model to use as a parts source for your lifetime unit.

Good luck.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you saying that the connector on the power supply is loose from the power supply's printed circuit board?

4. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    yes. couldn't figure out how to say it. Thanks....

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The connector is secured to the board with 2 screws and nuts on each, and the two pins that plug into the cord are soldered to traces on the circuit board.

Unplug the fan lead from the motherboard to get it out of the way.

Unplug the power lead from the hard drive.

Carefully remove the ribbon cable between the power supply and the motherboard. You only need to remove one end and the motherboard end is probably easier to get to, depending on which S2 you've got. You can wiggle it out, gently rocking it from side to side.

Unscrew the 2 screws holding the power supply board to the chassis, then using pliers or a nutdriver or socket or hollow tube, squeeze the plastic standoffs and lift the board free of them.

Take the board out of the unit.

Turn it over and inspect the solder connections of the pins to the board.

Get the socket lined up properly and tighten the screw/nut combinations to anchor it mechanically, but don't crank 'em down so tight you crack the board.

Then use a heavy duty soldering iron or solder gun to re-do the pin connections.

While you've got the board out, carefully inspect the electrolytic capacitors for any sign of leakage (it'll be brown, not the white glue that tacks them in place) or any doming of the top or bulging. (google "capacitor disease").

When you're ready to re-install the board, put it in at an angle getting the socket into the hole in the back panel, line it up over the plastic standoffs, snap it down into place, replace the 2 screws.

Then carefully re-insert the ribbon cable.

Then hook up the fan before you forget.

Then hook up the hard drive.

Then check to be sure you plugged the fan back in.

Then check to be sure you hooked up the hard drive power.

Then check to be sure you re-connected the ribbon cable.

Then check the ribbon cable between the front panel and the motherboard to be sure you haven't accidentally partially dislodged it. If it isn't properly seated, connecting the TiVo to the wall socket can cause destruction of some parts on the motherboard.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I had a problem with my old S2 240. One of the pins on the power supply wasn't tight and would get pushed back when I tried to connect the cord. When I figured this out, I used a wood popsicle stick to push it back out to where it should be and then held it in position with the stick as I connected the cord. The hard part was having to leave the cord connected and pull the plug at the other end whenever I had to do a hard restart.

If I had to do it again, I'd have added an in line power switch to the cord.