Series 2 or 3 remote for a premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Alvysyngr, May 10, 2011.

1. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I see a bunch of used premieres on eBay for like $80 and no remote, can I just use a spare peanut or backlit s3 remote? I want used so TiVo only charges me $12.95/mo and to upgrade and seems the price is ok. Thanks

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Series 2 & 3 remotes work with the Premiere including backlit Series 3 remotes. However I would not assume that the monthly charge will be $12.95 just because the unit is being sold on ebay or is listed as used.

Actually I would assume the service fee will be $19.99/mo.

Good Luck,

3. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I've used a series 2 remote with my Premiere. Some minor buttons aren't there, but everything there works.

4. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    As a 10+ year TiVo vet they told me it would be 12.95 as long as it was not part of the current 19.95 deal which would include a new TiVo. then they put me on hold and hung up on me :(

I then hit up the chat room and he said it would be 12.95 no matter what b/c of how long I have dealt with them. I'll report back either way

5. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Do you recall what buttons are missing?

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The A/B/C/D buttons aren't there, but, they're not really needed.

The "Zoom" button, which was "Aspect" on the Series 3 remote, is "Window" on the Series 2 remote, but it still does the same thing (with a Series 3 or 4, that is -- it doesn't do anything on a Series 2).

I can't think of anything else "missing". The older remotes even have at least one button the new ones don't: the 1/2 switch.

DirecTiVo remotes also work. Unlike the standalone remotes, they have a "List" button, which works on all TiVos -- it takes you directly to the NPL.