Series 2 needs digital converter after 2/2009

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by melofelo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. melofelo

melofelo New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    It's come to my attention that TiVo is a digital recorder, but sends it's signal to the television in analog. :thumbsdown: Effective Feb 2009, digital becomes the US TV standard.

Is there/will there be a digital "converter" (box) available to convert the series 2 signal to digital? :confused:

Thanks for your assistance. :up:

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The "Digital Standard" refers only to OTA broadcast. Unless you are using OTA it won't affect you. However, there are other changes that the cable companies are making (not specifically related to this new standard) that may affect you. Specifically "all-digital" and SDV. Search the forum for "SDV" and you'll get a feel for the problem.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The above statements shows you do not have a very good understanding on how things work or what's going on 2/2009.

To start with the signal coming out of the Series 2 TiVo doesn't have to be converted to anything, your TV will display it just fine.

If you are currently using a Series 2 to record over the air (OTA) analog after 2/2009 there will no longer be any signal available to record, at that time all OTA signals will go to digital. There will be boxes available to convert OTA digital into a format Series 2 Tivos can record, but it is unknown if TiVo will support controling these future boxes.

If you are currently using Series 2 to record analog cable, the 2/2009 date does not pertain to you. If your cable provider stops providing analog cable and goes to digital cable you will need a cable box that converts the digital cable into a format the Series 2 can record - Series 2 Tivos can already control most of these boxes.

If you are currently using a Series 2 to record from a satellite set top box (STB) nothing is changing.

Thanks,

4. melofelo

melofelo New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks Einstein,

This is why they have forums such as this.

But just an FYI for your expert brain: I've been in broadcasting (radio) for over 35 years. Tivo's signal is nowhere near the quality of my digital cable signal on my HDTV. The picture is far darker and the sound quality is less.

On a positive note: The closed captioning is a better font than my digital cable box provides.

5. melofelo

melofelo New Member

Jul 26, 2007

Your assistance is appreciated :up:

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    melofelo;

Ok I can see how one could take what I said as insulting - however it was not meant to be. Your original post/question mixed 2 completely different issues as if they were one in the same.

First you complain about TiVo's video output, wanting it to be digital - then you bring up the 2/2009 OTA analog to digital switch over which doesn't directly have anything to do with any devices analog or digital output - then you switch back to requesting a box to convert TiVo's analog output into a digital stream.

jrm01 and most of my answer only deal with 2/2009 OTA analog to digital switch over date which is a video input issue. All video going into a Series 2 Tivo has to be in an analog format, Tivo takes the analog video, converts it to digital and compresses it. This process causes some quality loss no way around it.

TiVo's process to output the video is to take the compresses digital video and convert it back to analog. The only way for any device to send digital video to a TV is through either a HDMI or DVI connection - everything else is analog. As you know current Series 2 TiVos do not have HDMI or DVI connections and I do not expect anyone to build a box that will take the analog signal coming out of a TiVo and convert it into a digital stream - even if it did the quality would not be the same as what comes out of your digital cable box because of the conversion/compression processes TiVo has already done.

Thanks,