Series 2 Multi Input

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mtims, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011

Advertisements

Does the series 2 accept two inputs? I have analog cable now would like to add OTA with Channel Master CM7000. Replaytv's can have multiple guides don't know if the Tivo can.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Dual tuner Series 2 can have two different inputs, and in some cases can record on both inputs. I believe that they were the last of the Series 2 boxes, but they were made for not using antenna input. But don't know how that would affect your situation beings how the digital converter would be doing the tuning.
    If the box is the one that I sold U it is a single tuner box.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, the S2 will do what you want as long as the S2 in question is not the dual tuner 649 model or the 542 model. The cable needs to be connected to the RF input and the OTA converter needs to be connected to the composite input. You'll have to repeat guided setup or maybe just the part regarding the channels you receive needs to be repeated which can be found in the channels section of settings.

eta
    I stand corrected, The S2 will not do what I thought it would do here.

4. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    The Replays will let you have up to 3 1 RF 2 line level looks like the Tivo won't let you use the one line level it has if you are already using the RF. EDIT-- had not seen Scandia101's post yet

5. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011

Advertisements

Thanks, I didn't want to get into the settings if it wouldn't let me anyway. It's a 540 has much better analog tuner than the Replay.

6. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Would not let me among choices were antenna alone and satellite and cable, no cable and antenna. Tried satellite and antenna hoping that's where they put the digital to analog converters no luck. Went thru chose sky angel (figured it had smallest guide) figured at least it would let me get to the composite input (why the Tivo won't just let you use it I don't know) and do manual like I've been doing on the Replay. But when done never saw the sky angel guide or how you were supposed to get to it.

7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It should have connected to the TiVo Service at the end to get Sky Angel's lineup and guide data. I use Sky Angel's information on my Series 2 (240 model) to accept my security camera's input through the composite connection. I never tried adding in an antenna though.

8. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    It did connect for both channel line ups (cable and sky's). How are you accessing the composites? I looked thru all menus tried every button on remote it could be including INPUT on universal remote. There always active on the replay only drawback is have to cycle thru composite 1 and 2 RF in and direct 3 and does it slowly. This is a 540.

9. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    OK, I think the 240 and 540 are basically functionally identical, with thel difference being the 540 has a white faceplate. But you're confusing me when you keep mentioning replay. I never had a replay, I know nothing about it. Don't really care to know anything about it.

Regardless, the first thing I did after re-running Guided Setup was to uncheck all the channels from Sky Angel's lineup except for channel 124, which is a music channel that has only 4 "episodes" ever showing. With my security camera plugged into the composite input, I tune the TiVo to SAT channel 124, and the signal is displayed on my TV. This works out well for me, because I have 48x30 minute manual recordings setup to record my camera on channel 124. I could have chosen any SAT channel and received the signal, since that's what's plugged into the composite inputs.

Edit: You may want to look at this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6571295#post6571295

10. mtims

mtims New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/DVR/5500/techspecs.asp So do you have anything hooked and receiving a guide to the RF connection as well? And on the replays their buffer is however much time is left on hard drive not just 30 minutes. Would make the Showstoppers and other earlier ones (will operate manually don't need to check in) excellent for cameras and have the two composites inputs can switch between two cameras.

11. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    ;)

No, just the security camera in the composite inputs.

I chose 30 minute manual recordings for convenience. Since they are recordings, buffer has nothing to do with it. I could choose 2x12 hour recordings, 24x1 hour recordings, 96x15 minute recordings, or any other number of combinations. All the recordings get pulled off the Series 2 by kmttg, and the files renamed to the following format for easy sorting:
    Code:
    [year][-][monthNum][-][mday][-][wday][-][hour][.][min]

I'm content with finding a use for my Lifetimed Series 2 in this manner. I've got 4 tuners available for recording OTA stuff between my Series 3 and Premiere. By re-purposing the LT'ed Series 2 to "Security" duty, my investment isn't sitting idle in a shelf or in a box somewhere.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A Single tuner series 2 will support two sources, so long as one is satellite. IOW, you cannot do cable and antenna, with or without box for either.

For a Series 2 DT, you can use two sources, so long as one source is analog cable, and the other is either the same cable provider as for analog, or is satellite.

In either case, if one of the sources is analog to the tuner, the other needs to connect to the A/V in on the TiVo.

For TiVo's setup, IPTV is considered cable, and satellite is always with box.