Series 2 lifetime gift question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jrlosh, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 15
    jrlosh

jrlosh New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    My parents neighbor gave them a series 2 just before they moved. They said it has a lifetime subscription. I would like to take the box home and try the service to see if I want to pay for a series 3.

I cant seem to find what kind of information I would need to try the box out. Is it just a simple plug in hook up to the internet and go?

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 15
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes, but you do have to connect it to the TV as well. :)

You do know they don't make the Series 3 or Tivo HD (Both considered a Series 3 model), anymore right? The newest model is the Premiere (considered a Series 4).

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 15
    jrlosh

jrlosh New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I do. I've been looking at the premiere vs the premiere XL. I have a nice sound system and don't want to lose any sound quality so I am trying to figure out if the XL is necessary/ worth it.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 15
    a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Contrary to what Resist says, NO.

Depending on what programming source you are using and changes in geographical location, you will probably have to repeat Guided Setup.

That will tell the box what stations to download guide info for and how the Tivo is attached to the program source (antenna/cable box, etc.).

5. Jul 6, 2011 #5 of 15
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I suspect that the Premiere and the Premiere XL have virtually the same hardware (I could be wrong), therefore you would not be able to tell the difference between the two as far as sound quality goes.

I would just get a Premiere and use the money saved to upgrade the internal hard drive.

6. Jul 6, 2011 #6 of 15
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
  7. Jul 6, 2011 #7 of 15
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    They wanted your parents to have it, hook it up and play with it there.

8. Jul 6, 2011 #8 of 15
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The only hardware difference is a larger hard drive. It received a different certification because Tivo only had the XL version tested.

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 15
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I had assumed running the Guided Setup was a given, as with any change of location or input source.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Wherever it is going to be used, what CATV company (assuming you are going to have CATV service) will be providing the service? Are you at all interested in a second DVR or in transferring videos recorded by the Tivo to an external device, such as a PC, DVD, iPad, etc.?

11. jrlosh

jrlosh New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Not quite sure yet. Once I get home I will try the S2 to see if I can live with or without tivo because my parents want nothing to do with it.

I do have comcast and if I do decide to utilize tivo I will probably upgrade to a premiere so I can enjoy HD.

As far as I know I have no desire in transferring recoded media to an external device but once I get home I will let you know. My best guess at the moment is that once I get to play wit tivo I will be in the market for a premiere with a lifetime subscription. :)

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You could just buy a premiere and use the 30-day trial to test it out. If you don't like it, get your money back.

A Series2 is not going to be indicative of the experience on a Series3 or 4.

13. jrlosh

jrlosh New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Good idea. From what I can gather a series 3 would be a premiere and a series 4 would be the premier XL?

14. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Both the Premiere and the Premiere XL are Series 4 - the only differences are Capacity (how much they can record), they type of remote, and THX Certification.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The last of the Series 2s were the TCD649xxx models which were the first dual tuner models (not counting the ones that were also DirecTV satellite receivers.)

After that no more single tuner models.

The Series 3 platform started with what's generally just called a Series 3. (TCD648xxx) It was followed by the HD (TCD652xxx) and the HD XL (TCD658xxx), which were also Series 3 platform machines. They added cable card slots and tuners that can get over the air digital signals.

The HD and the HD XL are supposed to be very similar in most ways.

The 2 versions of the Premiere are both Series 4 platform machines and also quite similar to each other.

http://www.tivopedia.com

is a good starting place for research, and you can learn some stuff from the wikipedia tivo articles as well.

You can also go to tivo.com itself and read the FAQs and such.

At that point you can come back here and start reading old threads with a better chance of understanding what we're all babbling on about.:)