Series 2 Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MattH3333, Nov 18, 2011.

1. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I am having an issue with a series 2 tivo that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have a Humax T800 tivo that I have lifetime on. Last night I restarted the Tivo because it was freezing up a little bit and when it restarted I got the "Welcome, powering up" screen then it went to a grey screen. I have searched around and found out that that mostly could be caused by the hard drive or the power supply. I have 2 Series 2 tivo (not Humax) that I have sitting in around not being used. I tried swapping out the hard drive and the Humax still didnt work, tried swapping out the power supply and the Humax still didn't work, swapped both of them out and it still doesn't work. I don't get the grey screen anymore, just sits on the "Welcome, powering up" screen. Stayed on that screen all night long.

Are there any other idea on what I can try so I don't have to use one of the other Tivos and go back to paying $10 a month for it?

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I don't think you can do that. I have always swapped out the same exact Tivo model and only after doing a full delete on the doaner Tivo

3. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes its a non-humax tivo. I was also just reading about imaging a hard drive that I have sitting at home not being used with the software for the Humax that I do have.

Is imaging a hard drive something that is pretty easy to do?

I think I know enough about computers to do it myself if it is easy.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Go to www.mfslive.org for most of the info you need on how to re-image/create a new tivo drive.

There are a couple of methods there, both pretty easy. The winmfs method is particularly easy(for windows pc's).

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It's not hard to copy a Tivo image to another hard drive. The issue will be getting a working image to copy. The only image you have right now is the one on your Humax Tivo hard drive that isn't working. You might still be able to copy that image to another hard drive, but it's likely that the drive will be so bad that you won't be able to copy the image.

If you can't copy the image from your hard drive, then you can search for an image on line or buy another humax drt800 tivo without lifetime service and use the hard drive from that one.

6. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    If you need a clean image for your Humax T800, I can help you. I have a bunch of different images I created with WinMFS from mfslive.org. If you want an image, send me an PM with your email address.

robomeister

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is that the one with or without the DVD drive? If with, make sure disc isn't stuck in drive. You might even try booting with the drive disconnected.

Are you certain that the power supplies are swappable? I can physically swap supplies between a TCD649080 and a TCD540080, but one has a +3.3V rail and the other doesn't, so if I'm lucky it would only not work, but not short out or fry anything.

I wouldn't expect a hard drive from a different model Series 2 to work.

Gray screen can be an indicator of inability to communicate with the hard drive, which can be because of hard drive trouble or a power supply that can no longer supply enough "oomph" for everything hooked to it.

Go read the wikipedia article about "capacitor plague" and then further your education at badcaps.net about how to spot capacitors in the power supply going bad.

Once you know what an electrolytic capacitor looks like, check the big one on the AC side of those power supplies. Most likely it'll still be good, but should have a sticker wrapped around it indicating what DC output voltages and amperages each supply can deliver. If the non-Humax supplies differ very greatly from the one from the Humax, don't swap 'em any more.

Do you already have the MFS Live cd, v1.4?

Have you ever used WinMFS?

8. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Right now I dont have enough post to PM.

9. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In fact I need 5 more, well 4 more right now.

10. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks. This should help me.

11. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I havent hooked up the hard drive to my computer yet but I am going to look this first. Thanks for the help.

12. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I havent checked to see if the DC output is different. I will check that. I do not have a MFS Live and I have never used WinMFS before. Will that be an issue?

13. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Sorry. Needed to get to 10 post.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can go to mfslive.org and download both the zip file of the .iso image of the MFS Live cd v1.4, so you can burn yourself a copy (and it's handy to have even if you don't have a TiVo, you boot your computer with it and it provides a linux command line environment from which you can run some included tools designed specifically for working with TiVo hard drives as well as some other useful programs which are also included), and at that same site you can also download WinMFS, which is an executable (a program) which runs on Windows XP or newer.

You should get both. And while you're at that site, read everything, more than once.

Then come back here and we'll talk more about how to use the cd to see if your Humax's hard drive is still okay.

15. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ok I have read it and got an understand of it. I have also downloaded both things and have burned the ISO file to a DVD. I have also put the Humax Hard Drive in my computer. But my computer is not seeing it.

16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When you say your computer can't see the drive, do you mean it doesn't show up in the bios?

17. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    correct. Its not showing up in the bios.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say not seeing *it*, do you mean the TiVo drive or the MFS Live cd?

I hope you read the part about not trying to access the hard drive with Windows Disk Management.

And if your computer has a GigaByte brand motherboard I hope you'll forgive me for not remembering to ask that first. If it does, I need to know what kind of ports it has, SATA and PATA, and what kind of drive your operating system is on before we proceed.

Otherwise keep reading since I've already written it.

Disconnect all of the drives on your computer* (it's a PC and not a Mac, right?) except for an optical drive that can read the MFS Live cd and the Humax's drive.

Turn on the computer and hit delete or whatever you have to do to get into the BIOS settings, where you'll check to see if the computer itself, prior to booting *any* operating system, can see the hard drive, and accurately report the size.

(what's the brand and model number of that hard drive, anyway)

While you're in the BIOS pages, make sure the computer is set to boot from the cd/dvd drive--you should be able to set a boot order, like floppy first, cdrom second, hard drive third, something like that, so that just having a bootable cd in the drive will boot to that and prevent the OS on the hard drive from loading.

If your computer can physically see the Humax drive and there aren't any funny looking characters in the name and the size isn't wildly off the mark, make sure the cd is in the drive and save the BIOS settings and let it boot into MFS Live.

After it goes through the boot process (let it default to option 1) and settles down to a command line, hold down the shift key and use the PageUp and PageDown keys to go back up the screen to see what it called the hard drive, probably /dev/hda or /dev/hdb or something, although there are circumstances where a SATA might be called /dev/hd"x" or a PATA called /dev/sd"x"

Or/And you can type

fdisk -l

and see what it reports for which /dev

It won't think there's anything on the drive ('cause it's looking for a DOS/Windows style Master Boot Record), but it'll match the drive to the /dev/xxx

And that's a lower case L after fdisk

Stands for list, I think

Once you know for sure what the drive is called by the OS currently running--let's call it /dev/hda for discussion's sake--then type

fdisk -l /dev/hda

just to double check, then type

pdisk -l /dev/hda

same procedure, but with a different command invoking a different program.

This should get you a list that starts with partition 1, which will be called Apple Partition Map, and has from 11 to 16 partitions overall.

Partitions 10 and 11 should say something about MFS

if that's cool then type

mfsinfo /dev/hda

and see if you get about a page and a half of stuff about zone maps, ending with a line about how many more time the TiVo can be expanded.

Let me know.

*DO NOT do this if it's a GigaByte brand motherboard, because they require sacrificial victims to keep them from harming the TiVo drive.

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's the brand and model of the computer motherboard?

Maybe, like mine, it can't use all of it's ports at once.

You are using the computer's power supply to power the drive as well as hooking up a data cable to the motherboard, right?

20. MattH3333

MattH3333 New Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I had another hard drive in my computer that showed up fine. I took that one out and put the hard drive that came with the Humax and its not showing up in windows explorer or in the bios.

I have everything hooked up corretly so I dont know if the instructions you gave me in the previous post will work.