Series 2 - Is there a best analog digital converter box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dfreybur, Oct 16, 2011.

1. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I have recently dropped cable and switched to antenna to save money.

Our Series 3 came digital ready and it worked great. After going through Guided Setup it even translated most of my cable channel subscriptions to the broadcast channels. I'm quite happy with the results.

Our Series 2 needs a digital converter box to work off of antenna now. I went on Tivo.com and printed out "Which digital converter boxes are compatible with my TiVo DVR?" document. It gives a list of boxes that are supported (18 with one caveat so call it 17) and boxes that are not supported (4).

Is there a best box among those 17 listed? Access, Apex, Cadence, Channel Master, Coship, General Electric, Lasonic, Magnavox, Microgem, Philco, RCA, Sansonic, Tivax, Venturer, Winegard, Zenith, Zinwell.

I'm in no hurry so I can order one at leisure. My Series 2 is a Humax with a DVD burner/reader so it's a very useful box because of that. I could transfer shows to it and watch them but recording off the air would be nice on that box as well.

Thanks in advance for any reviews of the supported digital converter box brands.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I shop at the thrift stores a lot, so buy much at a very low price. But I have bought a bunch of converter boxes new too, and can't really see any difference between them. I have even used separate signal amplifiers and special antennas(Apex) that work with the converter box to fine tune electronically the antenna. I haven't found any of them worth any extra money. I have had a Zenith and a Apex go bad, and another Apex lose the audio. So would probably avoid those. In these forums they say to use particular models, but I haven't found that to be true. The best tuner that I have found is the Tivo Series 3 and 4 built in tuners.
    Antennas seem to make the biggest difference, and bunches of antenna seem to work the best for me. I have three 'rabbit ears ' antennas 'ganged' together here in this room and they seem to work better than anything else.

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Thanks! I ended up going to Best Buy and getting the box they had. KCPI DT504 which is apparently an Apex. Not my first choice but as the Best Guy said - Fully refundable if it does not work. A couple of weeks in it's doing great.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivax, Magnavox or Zenith. Apex has a nice interface, but poor reception.