Series 2 internal tuner quality?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PanamaMike, Sep 10, 2007.

1. PanamaMike

PanamaMike New Member

Jun 16, 2003

Advertisements

I've been using my series 2 single tuner with Dish and cable before. I find myself in a situation where I'm moving and will end up on OTA for my video source.

So far the picture has been pretty bad. Is the internal Series 2 tuner any good? I don't have a reference point since I haven't used rabbit ears in some time.

Mike

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    My guess would be that your poor picture quality is because of poor reception and not because of the tuner.

3. PanamaMike

PanamaMike New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Is there a way to fine tune the tuner? It does an auto tune, but I'd like to see if I can manually improve what I'm getting.

Mike

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    IMO the Series 2 tuner has been very good. No way to fine tune it.

5. gregpg

gregpg Linux NuB

Apr 19, 2006
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

The tuner on my Series 2 doesn't give as clear a picture as the tuners on either my Sony widescreen or my 15 year old Magnavox 27". It is, however, significantly better on marginal channels than the tuner on my DVD recorder.

How good is the picture if you plug the rabbit ears directly into the TV and use the TV tuner? Using rabbit ears, I can only get about five channels out of the fourteen I get with my rooftop antenna, which also gives me much better reception overall. Is a rooftop antenna a possibility where you live now?

6. PanamaMike

PanamaMike New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Actually, this is only a temporary issue. I'll be moving in about a weeks time. My dish was taken down to replace the roof; I'm stuck with rabbit ears until I can move and get the new dish put in.

Unfortunately, these may be my last days of Tivo since I want an HD DVR and I'll be on SAT. :(

Mike