1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 2 has no Internet access. Now what?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HarleyRandom, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2018 #1 of 15
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    To get my programming information and software updates I have used a phone line. I haven't used the Series 2 since September 30, the date on which this was stopped. Is there anything special I need if I unhook the cable from my Roamio and plug it in to the Series2? WiFi did not work last time I tried it, for anything.

2. Oct 7, 2018 #2 of 15
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    "the cable"?
    Which cable?
    -KP

3. Oct 7, 2018 #3 of 15
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Network cable; RG45?
    Just plug it in and go to the network settings screen the tivo displays and configure the connection.
    I believe you might need the MAK number found on tivo.com.

4. Oct 7, 2018 #4 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If a Roamio has configured wireless, it will automatically start when the Ethernet cable is removed. Reconnection of the Ethernet cable will disable the wireless.

5. Oct 7, 2018 #5 of 15
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    Why not use wireless on the Roamio and Ethernet on the Series 2 if there is a Ethernet cable nearby?
    If not, get a wireless G adapter on Ebay (10-15 bucks) and then both are wireless

6. Oct 7, 2018 #6 of 15
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You know that the Series 2 boxes don't do wireless in and of themselves, right? To have them do wireless, you need to attach a wireless adapter.

As suggested above, the TiVo wireless G network adapter works well and is available at a good price via eBay (or Craigslist, etc.). A cinch to attach and set the settings for, via the TiVo box.

7. Oct 7, 2018 #7 of 15
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    And unless the S2 is a dual tuner, it also does not have an ethernet port so it would need an adapter for that too.

8. Oct 7, 2018 #8 of 15
    lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Which S2 do you have? The first 3 numbers of the TiVo service number would be the model.

9. Oct 8, 2018 #9 of 15
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I knew that.

Besides, in response to anyone who made suggestions about wireless, it doesn't work in my house. Or at least I haven't tried it lately. I was told when I set it up to use a password. Before the password, it worked fine and my Roamio got all its programming and other information. With the password, I couldn't get it to work so I asked for the password to be removed. So it STILL didn't work.

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    It was a dual tuner before Time Warner switched to digital cable and I was required to use a box.

11. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Wireless explained above.

I could also buy another Ethernet cable, if I was willing to spend that kind of money. Instead, I'll just unplug the Ethernet cable temporarily from the Roamio. If I can without doing anything.

Teeps likes this.
  12. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That should be fine. You could also buy a ethernet switch if you want them both connected at the same time. An old router can work, too, if you don't use the WAN port.

13. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Whatever works for you. A cable and a switch would be pretty cheap and not have to have you flip cables around in the back of devices

krkaufman likes this.
  14. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    So far, programs are still recording on the series 2. I didn't even get a message saying I could no longer get programming information. Maybe it's still working with the phone line.

15. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Since they're in different rooms, that wouldn't really solve the problem. The series 3, the Roamio and the desktop all have separate cables plugged in. I do have a cable that came with my new modem, come to think of it, but I don't know whether it's long enough. I also have to return that modem when I find a new one because the phone company wants to charge me monthly for it.