Series 2 DT "No Cable Providers Found"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kmitchell, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Hi,

I'm having a guided setup problem on two new Series 2 DT boxes that I hope someone can help with. I've spend several hours on the phone with tech support at Tivo but I'm currently in a holding pattern at the "investigation" level.

When I try to run guided setup I get an error indicating that "No Cable Providers Found" for the zip code that I've entered. I've tried over twenty different zip codes including some given to me by Tivo tech support. Tech support has been able to verify that the connection is fine and the cable provider info is being transferred correctly but neither of the two new boxes can get past this point in the guided setup.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Are you using a cable box?
    • If not, does the TV work if you disconnect the cable from the TiVo RF input and connect it to the TV?
    • If you are using a cable box, disconnect the cable(s) that go from the cable box to TiVo at the TiVo and connect it (them) directly to the TV. Does the TV see a signal?
    This will test whether there is a good signal for the TiVo.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Sounds like the OP does not have a Set Top Cable Box attached to their Tivos :D

4. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I do have a cable box attached to the Tivo. Signal coming from the cable box is fine going into the Tivo. Verified this by plugging it into a TV as suggested.

The error I'm getting is occurring after the Tivo downloads cable provider info during guided setup.

Are you saying a good signal coming into the Tivo is required in order for the cable provider setup to work?

Thanks,
    Ken

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Go to Zap2it.com and see if you can get the Cable Co info with your zip code.

Tribune Media Services is where TiVo gets the guide info, TMS also runs Zap2it.

phox

6. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Zap2it lists my cable provider (Comcast) and shows my channel lineup just fine for my zip code.

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I'm out of ideas then.

Good luck.

phox

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Irrelevant. The problem has nothing to do with the strength of the cable signal. Theres a problem with either the connection (telephone line or broadband) or the tivos processing of the information.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    :(

10. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Hi Mick66,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried guided setup with both the phone line and broadband with the same results. I was hoping it wasn't the case, but I think the problem must be on the Tivo service side as I'm having the same problem on two different Tivos. Just to see if it made any difference I tried running guided setup and selecting satellite instead of cable and I get nearly the same results. After connecting and downloading the provider info I get a screen that says "Select your local provider:" but the list is empty. So I'm thinking that either the Tivo isn't downloading the provider info file, the file it's downloading is corrupted or formatted incorrectly, or the version of Tivo SW on my new boxes has a bug.

Ken

11. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Since you have Two New Series 2 tivos I would be contacting Tivo and talking to Tech Support. But it does seem strange that both Boxes are having the same problem.

If one was having a problem, then yes fine, but both.........

Somehow I do not think its the Tivo units, but something else.

12. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I agree that it's probably not the Tivo boxes themselves. I've already been through three levels of Tivo Tech Support and my problem has been turned over to an "investigator". I hope to hear back from someone in a day or two. I'm only 20 miles from Tivo's headquarters, maybe they can come over and debug it in person? I know, wishful thinking.

Thanks for the help,
    Ken

13. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You never know. Why not call them and tell them they can send someone over to check it out.

You may of found a new Bug or something. Maybe even appear in a Tivo Advertisement someday :D

LOL.

14. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Just an update...

Haven't received a call back from the "investigator" but I've been calling each afternoon to check on progress. I offered to drop one of the boxes off so the engineers could look at it but that offer was declined.

Current instructions: Wait 5-7 business days and then call us back if we haven't called you.

My Series 1's have now stopped working since the Series 2's serial numbers have been transferred. I know have four Tivo bricks.

15. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I'm still waiting on resolution of my Series 2 problem but at least a supervisor at Tivo was nice enough to re-activate my Series 1's while they continue to work on the Series 2 problem.

My Series 2 problem is now at engineering escalation level.

16. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    A tech support supervisor by the name of Amy is my hero. The provider data for my zip code is corrupt to the point that if you load my zip code data onto a Tivo it cannot even be removed when you select a different zip code. Amy walked my through a system restore which wiped everything clean. I then selected a "nearby" zip code that had the same channel lineup and guided setup worked for that zip code.

Unfortunately, It now looks like one of my new boxes has a bad analog tuner. Hopefully I can get that resolved later today.

Ken

17. KlunkerUConn

KlunkerUConn New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I'm having the same problem with my Series 2 DT with no zip codes working. I've tried everything... Does anybody know how to run that system restore so I can enter a different zip code during the guided setup? Thanks!