Series 2 DT Ethernet Network Help - Neither Gateway nor DHCP found

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chainsaw54, Aug 26, 2007.

1. chainsaw54

chainsaw54 New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I have a Series 2 DT which is hard networked via its ethernet port. My Series 2 DT has been having networking issues since this past Friday, when a power outage occurred. When the TiVo first came back online, in my network settings it said the ethernet cable was unplugged (which it wasn't). I then did another hard reboot, and the TiVo then recognized that there was a network cable, and it gave a standard IP address. I then tried to configure the network settings using DHCP, but it cannot find the router (I get the NO7 message - "Gateway could not be located"). I have then looked at the back of the TiVo, and I get a continuous orange light flashing, which to me means there is some network interference or issues occurring. I then tested my laptop computer at the port, and everything worked fine. I have powered down my router, I have powered down the TiVo, I have unplugged all connections, etc. I lso have not changed my routers, or changed any network settings. The blinking orange light concerns me, though, and I am afraid this may be a hardware issue. Can anyone assist me by shedding some light on this issue? Getting frustrated - can't connect nor transfer shows!
    Many, many thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    You may have conflicting IP addresses on your network.

Try doing the following in this exact order:
    Power off all devices on your network, i.e. PC's, modem, router, TiVo , printers etc.
    Wait 30 seconds
    Power up each device in this exact order:
    Modem - after it successfully restarts (all lights on), then power up the
    Router - after it boots up (again all lights steady), then power up your
    PC - after rebooting, then power up your
    TiVo.​

This sequence allows your router to properly assign IP addresses without conflicts.

If you are familiar with manually assigning IP addresses, then I suggest you give each device on your network a permanent IP address to avoid future conflicts.

3. chainsaw54

chainsaw54 New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks so much for your response. I did what you suggested, but unfortunately, still not connecting. My TiVo still has the pulsating orange light of death next to the ethernet port (as opposed to a healthy flicker when actively connected okay). Also tried connecting through the "Phone & Network" section, but received an error (NO2) stating that the DHCP server could not be found.

I'm really racking my brain trying to figure this out, but I am beginning to be fearful that this is a hardware issue. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks again - it is much appreciated!

4. chainsaw54

chainsaw54 New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    (bump)

5. al8058

al8058 New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I have had a message that says "Netwok Cable Unplugged" for a few days and now, it is not recognizing any programs through Tivo. I have ensured that all plugs are properly connected (I disconnected them and reconnected to make sure), and powered up the system with the same result. I clicked on the option to connect but it indicated that no connection was found. My internet is working properly so I don't understand why it indicates that it is unplugged. Any suggestions on what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6. jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    Since recently moving my computer/router around, I've run into some network issues with my S2DT. This is more TTG related than anything, but I can see my computer on my TiVo as I can see the shows I've got saved on there...the caveat is that when I go to transfer a show, it says there are no DVR's on the network.

I can see my music and photos, and listen/view those with no issues, it's just when I want to transfer a show from TiVo to computer that I get the above error message.

I've got the TiVo wired into the router and the computer is set up wirelessly.