Series 2 DT daily call failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DougF, Dec 27, 2007.

1. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I bought a refurb from tivo.com for my mom this summer. It ran out of guide data last week. The daily calls have been failing with "Could not connect". I've rebooted it. I even picked up the phone to make sure it's dialing out. It is dialing and I can hear it attempting to connect but it stops with the "could not connect" error after several seconds. On a couple of attempts, it never dialed. I brought it to my house and connected it to my network and it dialed out successfully over the 'net.

My guess is bad modem. Are there external modem kits for S2 machines? She's only six months into the 12 month agreement, so I don't think getting a new machine is an option yet. Any idea what the cost to repair it would be?

Thanks!

2. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Weaknees has an external modem kit for $69, plus $11 for the serial cable if you misplaced the original.

Although the labor warranty is no longer in effect, her TiVo should qualify for the parts warranty. I believe the cap is $50 on labor. Since this is cheaper than a replacement modem, I would call TiVo first and ask.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Does your mom have digital phone service?

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Nope. No broadband, either.

I think I'll look at the external modem option.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Or you could use PPP but you would need a computer near by.

6. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I talked to TiVo tonight and they'll swap it for another refurb for $49.99. I think we'll go that route.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    That's probably cheaper than an external modem anyway.