Series 2 DT - Color loss in one tuner.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ladill, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ladill

ladill New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Nashville

Advertisements

I have a Series 2, dual tuner box that is about nine months old. Recently it has developed a color loss/color shift problem in one of the tuners. Rebooting the box seems to fix this temporarily, but the problem returns in a short time. Since rebooting helps does that mean that this is a software issue ? Regardless, can I fix this (and how) or does this box need to go in for service ? :(

2. truckracer25

truckracer25 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I had the same problem start after about 4 months. Tivo told me to do the same standard nonsense of unplug/plug it back in. This won't fix anything. It is a hardware issue, I haven't completely isolated it (I'm not a EE or TV tech) but I believe something in the second tuner overheats and so we lose color. The reason rebooting fixed it temporarily is that it gave the 2nd tuner a chance to cool down.

I know it's a heat issue because I took mine apart, including the shielding for the 2nd tuner. Leaving the cover off and having a fan blowing on the board, I had perfect color for the last few weeks. I finally decided to put it back together and see what happened, within 3 hours I was back to the mostly no color with the 2nd tuner. I think it is really an issue that any normal TV tech could solve but I don't know. Let me know if you find out what the exact problem is or if you get it fixed.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    A possible suggestion would be to improve the TiVo's ventilation and see what happens. A more powerful fan, a second fan outside the unit with a separate power supply, even a cooling unit meant for a laptop.

I know, you shouldn't have to do this, but until TiVo admits it's a known problem and comes up with a solution, these ideas should help.

By the way...

What got you to reply to a post over a month old?

4. truckracer25

truckracer25 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    After I put my tivo back together and started getting the color loss again, I did a quick search on google to see if anyone had come up with anything and found this post. I knew it was old but I also knew that some others have this problem too so I thought I would share my (minor) findings.

If anyone is a TV tech and has any input on how the tuner itself may relate to the color loss problem, here are the numbers from the 2nd tuner in my tivo.

Exterior Sticker:
    SAMSUNG
    TCPN9082PC26T
    060904 LBT

Sanyo Chip:
    LA75676
    6PYF

Texas Instruments Chip:
    B1678
    A5RE

I wasn't able to find a datasheet on the TI chip but I did find the one for the Sanyo chip. I also believe the Sanyo chip is probably the most important in relation to dealing with video control. Again, I am not a tech, but this seems like the most logical direction for finding the problem to me.

I tried to post a link to the datasheet but the system won't let me add any links until I have 5 posts. I sent it to you via PM if you are interested, and feel free to add it to this thread if you want.

5. beauford1313

beauford1313 New Member

Mar 30, 2008

Advertisements

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but did anyone ever find a solution for this issue?

Thanks.