Series 2 doesn't respond to remote after power supply replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by damoopies, May 23, 2011.

1. damoopies

damoopies New Member

May 18, 2010

Advertisements

I have two remotes. Neither works.

2. damoopies

damoopies New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ok, it's the L31. I'm going to try the circuit writer.

3. damoopies

damoopies New Member

May 18, 2010
    No luck.

4. damoopies

damoopies New Member

May 18, 2010
    Tried replacing front panel, still nothing.

5. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD

Advertisements

If you applied power to the Tivo with the flat white cable disconnected or dislodged, even for a couple of seconds, then you probably popped the L31 resistor. And now the remote doesn't work, because no power is going to the IR receiver in the front panel. Replacing the front panel will not fix this problem. You need to put a small jumper wire around the L31 resistor. Other people have had success with this technique, but it takes some soldering skills.

It might be easier to simply replace the TiVo, But if you have a LifeTime subscription, then it is worth the effort to fix it yourself.

There are other threads that describe how to do this. Good Luck,

robomeister

6. adenke

adenke New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    I have this same problem. Where are these threads talking about how to jumper over the L31 resistor? Is this resistor on the power supply board? I don't see one labeled as L31.

7. Rocketslc

Rocketslc Active Member

Jan 4, 2004
    SLC, Utah...
    This sounds like a problem that was discussed quite some ago in this thread
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=105719

If I remember people had several different solutions to correct the problem

Posts number 66, 77, 137 148 and 165 in that thread have some good information

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Technically, L31, or L anything, isn't a resistor, it's an inductor, a coil of wire (L stands for "loop"), although it may be wound on a very high resistance resistor for physical support, depending on the size.

It's on the motherboard, as I recall, and near where the ribbon cable from the front panel connects.

If you have a different model from the one that's got L31, it may be labled L some other number.

rocketslc's link 404's on me, but here's a link to post 66 from which to start.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=1492583#post1492583

Once you find the one on your model, you'll need an ohmmeter to see if it's burned open or not. If it hasn't opened, then your problem may be entirely elsewhere.