Series 2 and Digital Converter Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Resist, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1 of 10
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have a Series 2 single tuner connected to an indoor antenna and a Zenith DTT901 digital converter box. It works pretty well but one issue bothers me. When the channel is changed, the TV goes blank then Tivo shows the new channel info, then the TV channel comes back and the digital converter box menu shows it changing the channel and then finally the TV changes channels. It's probably takes 2 seconds to complete, which is rather long and is annoying. Is there anyway around this? Or perhaps a way so it doesn't show both the converter box and Tivo channel info during the change.

2. Jul 4, 2011 #2 of 10
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No way around it other than to avert your eyes.
    This is just how tivos work with a set top box of any kind. One would think that they'd increase the 2 second blackout to 4 seconds just to avoid the ugliness, but it's just not going to happen.

3. Jul 4, 2011 #3 of 10
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I never had this kind of issue when this box was used with a cable box. I can deal with the time it takes to change a channel, but was hoping to find a way around the Tivo and converter box showing the channel during it. I only need one of them to show me that.

4. Jul 4, 2011 #4 of 10
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could get a second converter box and split the coax cable from the antenna to feed both boxes. Then use the second converter box for live TV and leave the other converter box dedicated to the Tivo. Assuming your TV has an auxiliary input.

5. Jul 4, 2011 #5 of 10
    scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Guess you got lucky.
    I've always seen it on my 540 S2. First with a regular cable box, then an OTA converter and now again with a DTA.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #6 of 10
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks, but then this defeats the point of having a Tivo for live TV. Plust it's just way to much trouble for a TV/Tivo that isn't used all that much. I was hoping there was a simple solution, but guess I'm stuck with it.

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 10
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It always behaved that way on my cable boxes, and I have the same annoying double banner with my current DirecTV receivers. I don't really mind the TiVo banner since it doesn't show up in TiVoToGo recordings.

Back in my Series 1 days I hacked the IR database and replaced the code for the Enter button on my sat receiver with the code for the Clear button, then told my TiVo that it DID need to send the Enter code to change channels. It got rid of the STB banner as soon as it was entered, but my S2DTs are unhackable without a PROM chip replacement. :(

8. Jul 6, 2011 #8 of 10
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The point of having a Tivo not to have to watch live TV. If you want to watch live TV, then why even use the Tivo at all?

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 10
    scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:
    And people still want to claim that there's no such thing as a dumb question.
    If you've ever used a tivo, you know the answer.
    The answer is, for the trick play features.

Not to even mention the fact that just because someone with a Tivo watches live tv sometimes, does not mean that they don't use the tivo to record and watch later.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I think you are confused as to what I said. I really only use this TV/Tivo combo to keep the MSD for another Tivo. But when I do use this Series 2, it would have been nice not to see two channel change info screens (Tivo and Digital Converter). That's all I wanted to do was only see one channel change info screen. But clearly it seems that is not possible without a complicated fix, which I am not interested in investing in.

But thanks for all your responses.