Series 2 and custom cable provider

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cshiflett, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cshiflett

cshiflett New Member

Jan 27, 2008
    I struggled with the best way to search for this and didn't come up with solution, so heres the question:

I have a Series 2 Dual Tuner model. My daughter is going off to college that she wanted to take with her while she's there.

They have what appears to be Comcast as their local provider, but the system they are on apparently converts everything to analog for their older TVs in the rooms, etc.

That's all fine, except for the fact that TiVo is too smart and knows that Comcast past channel 29 is digital only, and requires a cable box or digital adapter. The analog TV my daughter uses accesses all the channels (past 29) just fine as analog.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the TiVo to follow Comcast's channel guide (as if it had a digital adapter installed), but have the TiVo use it's internal tuner, instead of trying to control a "cable box"?

2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I have a similar problem on the private MATV (master antenna) network that serves the entire retirement community where my mom lives. The system is owned completely by the church that operates these retirement communities, and channel assignments are completely unique.

This system uses an industrial DirecTV system similar to the kind used in hotels to deliver old-fashioned NTSC analog channels to the MATV network. It's not a DirecTV service; you can't hook up your own DirecTV box (or cable box, for that matter) to the wall outlet or use Program Guide data for any commercial service in that ZIP code.

After years of begging and complaining on my part, and apparently by others, TiVo has finally gotten around to providing a Program Guide lineup with the analog channels listed correctly, albeit with the channels used for Sunday church services and the graphical bulletin board channel listed as "LOORxx". That's all well and good.

The latest TiVo problem is with the local OTA channels that are received by a rooftop antenna, demodulated from 8VSB then re-modulated to 64QAM (so that newer TVs that don't support NTSC in "antenna" mode will work properly in "cable" mode) and injected into the MATV plant. TiVo clearly knows about it, because the local OTA channels that are on the MATV system show up in the Program Guide and the few that aren't carried don't appear in the PG.

The thing is that every local OTA channel is mapped to the old NTSC frequency and modulation! So selecting digital channels 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 etc. on the TiVo all tune in analog cable channel 7. I called TiVo and asked for this error to be corrected. I even assembled and sent copious amounts of data (both raw and formatted) from my HD TiVo, the bundled software that came with my Hauppauge 950Q and TSReader. The result? The customer service rep. insisted over and over that I "must get a CableCard from the (non-existant) cable company". After a few rounds of me patiently explaining that was impossible, unnecessary and therefore not a resolution, the CSR wrote the online equivalent of "f-youverymuchgoodbyeclick" and closed the ticket. To add injury to insult, every brush-off response from TiVo was titled "ISSUE RESOLVED" in big block letters, despite the fact that it wasn't resolved and they never even asked me if it helped a single bit.

Thanks to someone here who posted a link to a Program Guide-specific support form (sorry I can't find your post to give you due credit), I'm trying again one last time. I can't even find the link, sorry. No matter, because right now I'm waiting for them to make a move, and they've marked the status "waiting for customer". Waiting for what?!?!?

Based on my experience with TiVo Support, my mom will probably be dead and your daughter will probably be graduated and back at home before TiVo ever get motivated to respect their bread and butter customer base. My advice is to tell your daughter to see if there's a Linux User Group at or near her school, and to ask a Linux geek to build a MythTV box for her. All you need is a spare PC and a TV tuner card or two.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Go to www.zap2it.com, enter the zip code and check the available choices. There may already be a custom lineup for the college. TiVo buys the guide data from the same company that runs that site, so it may not be a problem.

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    +1 When I lived in an apartment complex that had their own lineup TiVo created a custom one for me. If one does not already exist go here and fill this out. They may walso want you to fax a channel lineup to them.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/contactsupport/lineup_tool.html

5. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
  6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I must say, I did it 10 years ago when TiVo was still a fairly small company. Perhaps it is being optimistic to think they are still as responsive as they used to be. Hopefully they will be.

7. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Sadly most of my gripes about today's TiVo Inc. are all about their shift from earning their profits honestly and equitably, to the company today that operates like any other big business that seem to think that using underhanded policies are somehow more profitable. I don't agree with this assumption, but understand how it came to be that way well enough to not hold my breath waiting for any substantial change in the status quo in my lifetime.

The one bright spot here is that even the most callous organizations allow a few decent employees to slip into their ranks. I hope you can be connected to one!