Series 2 - 17 year old unit, what to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jwjames, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2019 #1 of 34
    jwjames

jwjames TiVo Noob

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Here it is, 2019, and I came across my old 60GB Series 2 Tivo (TCD140060.) I haven't used a Tivo product in over 10 years and really don't intend to any time soon. I've read over several threads where doing anything with it other than its intended purposes is out of the question. However, those threads I've seen are 7+ years old.

I've not done much looking into the box, but what, if anything is feasible? Is loading up Debian an option? I'm sure I'll just toss it, but looking for realistic options for a unit that is a Presidential term length away from being legal drinking age.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If it doesn't have lifetime service, you can't get service on it anymore. If it does have lifetime service, then you could use it with an OTA converter box, a cable box or satellite box, but it's still SD video which doesn't look good on a large screen HD TV. You'll probably spend a lot of time to get the latest software update from Tivo. Unless you're still using a tube TV or a small HD TV and you want to spend hours setting it up, it's not worth it.

3. JLV03

JLV03 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    If it has lifetime, keep it or sell it.

If it doesn't have lifetime, recycle it. Best Buy has a decent recycling program.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    And if it does have lifetime service, and you do keep it, plug it in and let it connect to TiVo. There may be special one-time offers that let you upgrade but they require the box be plugged in and working.

PSU_Sudzi and Mikeguy like this.
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Nothing has really changes in 7 years on other uses for a TiVo. :)

Scott

trip1eX likes this.
  6. jwjames

jwjames TiVo Noob

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    :) Thanks, everyone. I figured much hasn't changed since I could barely find anything. I would have guessed with the explosion of DIYers, hackers, and hobbyists over the past 10 years something would have come about.

It does have a lifetime subscription - I know I haven't turned it on in at least ten years so that needs to be my first step.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Note that the Series 2 phone connection will no longer work (I don't know if some isolated phone connection points might still remain); you'll need an Internet connection back to the mothership. Also, be prepared for a long update (or 2?) once you make a connection--there have been some doozies since you have been away, and some people have reported the updates as taking hours.

rdrrepair likes this.
  8. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Yes. What @Mikeguy says. I've got a few S2's still chugging along at a summer residence. We plug them in once or twice a year, for several weeks at a clip, and always get S03 errors.

Leave it plugged in with either a USB TiVo wireless adapter or with a network cable. Don't keep forcing the issue. It has always fixed itself after a few days.

Edit: you might still have an issue from when TiVo changed their guide data source... Good luck

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It is best to setup an S2 or S3 with antenna if possible. Avoids the S03 errors. As there is not as much guide data. A dual tuner S2 can be a problem as it does not do antenna. I had one that was setup for satellite. Tried to change to my current zip code and cable. Even though it WAS working with sat and old zip code (it would get S03 errors if it had been sitting around a few months unconnected but would work out) when I ran guided setup for cable got stuck with that no valid zip code thing. Getting out of that can be tough if you are in guided setup. Amazingly I was able to do it by choosing cable with no cable box. Bottom line though, if you want to keep an S2 or S3 active and it is CURRENTLY setup with antenna don't change it or you risk the S03 errors, S03 will usually work itself out if you just leave the box connected (sometimes a couple days) if not in guided setup.

Note, if you are going to be attempting things with S2/S3 like guided setup or clear and delete everything if it is currently working best to make a copy or backup image of your drive before trying anything risky.

10. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I have a DT, and I'm waiting for the next upgrade offer. For some reason (and they've checked into it), I don't get any TiVo offer emails. My only recourse is to keep checking the boards here.

hc130radio likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The TiVo marketing machine just seems to have issues, with people repeatedly not being sent emails despite having opted in. :(

12. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think clearing thumb ratings and suggestions will resolve the S03 errors for a while.

13. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I've also stopped using my lifetimed S2. Can it really sold for any value? Are there people in today's world who would pay for it? Mine hasn't been plugged in for almost a year, so I just put it in the garage.

I do have and OTA tuner that would convert to analog, so I could use it as an OTA TiVo, but my Bolt is good enough for that, that I don't need this S2.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I regularly see them south of $100 on Craigslist.

To my mind, the better approach: plug it in periodically (monthly or quarterly) so that it connects up to the TiVo mothership and is seen as current, and then use it for a hopeful future TiVo upgrade offer (as it's had in the past) to a Bolt with a minimal charge to transfer Lifetime. And then either keep the new box, or give it to someone as a nice gift (or sell it).

15. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Give it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Low-income individuals are always looking for low-cost AV solutions.

16. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Hmmm.... Maybe I should indeed install a quarterly reminder on my iPhone to trigger me to connect it like you said. I'm guessing I don't have to bother hooking up the digital to analog converter either... simply have no video signal sent to the TiVo, but still have the ethernet hookup to internet to allow the menus to be used, especially to establisht he network connect to call the mothership quarterly.

As you say, maybe one day I can get a deal to transfer its lifetime sub over to a new TiVo, and then it will truly be worthless box worthy of discarding. :D

Then again, I am pretty happy with my bolt, and I'm wondering what TiVo could offer in the future that I'd want.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A 2nd Bolt box. ;)

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Given your current circumstances from other threads, a Roamio or Bolt OTA comes to mind.

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recycled my series 2 (that had lifetime) quite a while ago. With no guide data, it seemed to me to be more trouble for anyone that might get it than its worth.

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Why would it have had no guide data?