Series 1 with lifetime subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sasjzl, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Folks, I am brand new to TiVo and have stumbled across a Series 1 Sony SVR-2000 with a lifetime subscription.

First issue is that I do not have a land phone line and I see no way to get this on my LAN, wireless or not. If there is any way to do that I would love to know.
    If I take this over to my neighbors house and hook it up to a phone line I assume I will be able to run through the setup but will I have to do that every 30 days to be able to get program information?

Second issue I will keep short because if there is no answer for the first I am Dead In Water. IF I can get through the setup, can I use this with my Zenith
    DTT 901 TV converter box to change channels with an IR blaster or can I fool the Tivo into thinking that this is a cable box of some sort. I think I remember seeing that this Converter box can work as if it was a specific kind to cable box.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'm only familiar with the Philips S1 version but I suspect there are some similarities that might impact your situation. First, the Program Guide data is good for, at most, 14 days, not 30. The IR blaster would likely work if you can find the correct code in the Tivo list. Maybe someone who has that converter box will know if there is a code that works. Now for getting updates. I think that I read somewhere that the Turbonet card will work with any S1 unit. I know it works for the Philips units. It plugs into the maintenance connector on the motherboard and provides an ethernet connection. You need to give the Tivo a dialing prefix of ,#401 for it to work. The other possible method is to use the serial port on the Tivo to do PPP with your computer. Hopefully someone with more direct experience with the Sony will have answers as well.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The TurboNet card or the Cache Card (basically a TurboNet with a DIMM socket that'll take up to a 512MB stick) will work inside a Series 1 Sony just the same as inside a Series 1 Philips.

If you have a computer with a serial port (old school 9 pin, not USB) near where you'll have the TiVo set up, then ppp to use the computer's broadband connection may be the way to go.

As for using it with a "coupon box", I haven't had occasion to play around with that yet, but I can tell you that you can do Guided Setup and lie about having satellite service (tell it DirecTV and you get a Channel 1),and you can go from the yellow, white, red output jacks of the Zenith to the TiVo's line inputs, and putting the TiVo on channel 1 will give you whatever's coming out of the Zenith.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have Sony 2000 with a Turbonet card. I set the Tivo up so it thinks it is using cable and am using a DTV Pal TR-40 converter box. The Tivo can't tune the dash channels like 7-2, but it will do others. The channel line up isn't correct either but some of them are correct. The Tivo works fine with controlling the converter box. I used the 'dishTV' for the type of box. Don't set the box up for 'antenna' or it will have the channel lineup only the ultra low power stations that are worthless.
    I have Zenith DTT 901 TV converter boxes but don't remember if I was ever able to get them to work on the Series 1. (I have all Premieres and Series 2 with lifetime that I am currently using, so don't use any of the Series 1s that I own. I plan to sell them on here or ebay.)

You might consider selling your Tivo and getting a Series 2 with lifetime to avoid all the problems with the programing on the Series 1 that you have to put up with. For some reason the price is not that much different. I don't understand that, but if you look on completed listings you'll see that it is true sometimes. If the Sonys' lifetime was purchased before January 2000 then you might be able to transfer the lifetime to a Premiere. That would be your 'best case scenario'.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    For a Zenith converter, tell it you have a satellite box from LG.

7. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    If your modem works, you can use it with some VoIP phone adapters. Vonage is your best bet in this area since they actually support data/fax modems with their service. By now there may be some small VoIP providers left that could offer better modem support than I got ten years ago when I last tried it.

Using PPP is an option, but it's a bit technical for some. Not only do you need a real serial port, which is becoming more rare on new PCs, but you need to configure routing on your computer.

The TiVoNet, Turbonet and Chachcard Ethernet adapters require for you to open up the box, which could void your warranty! :p LOL But once installed they're a "set it and forget it" solution. IIRC, the setup boot disc they use is a breeze to use.

I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner.

8. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi Speed Daemon,

You wrote:
    "I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner."

Thanks for responding so quickly. This forum is excellent.

I would be very interested in any spare Tcards you might have that would allow me to connect my TiVo
    up with my Windows 7 pc. My understanding is that I still need to remove the hard drive and attach it
    to a pc that can boot from the CD to get some essential software on there? I think I could handle that. I have used
    Unix/Linux but I am much more familiar with Windows. It would be great not to have my heart in my throat while
    running Linux commands.

If it is possible I would like to get the wireless card but I will take whatever I can get.

Also if you have an IR blaster that would probably get me launched into Tivo world relatively painlessly.
    Although as we both know all too well none of this is ever as painless as we might predict.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

9. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!

BTW, can anybody else here confirm that the Sony SVR-2000 is physically compatible with all of the 9th Tee adapters? "Measure twice, cut once."

Your first post says that you need to update Program Guide data. Is your PC the only thing that makes up your LAN, aside from the Internet source? Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?

Well, it's probably better to have your heart in your throat while doing anything that might trash a system drive. ;) Overconfidence kills more computers than over-caution.

It's been a long time, but IIRC the boot disc uses a menu system that's a lot like a DOS setup program. Just to be safe, when you open your computer to install the TiVo HD, unplug all internal drives except for the disc drive. That will make it physically impossible to accidentally trash the Windows drive(s), and make it easier to identify the TiVo drive.

I don't have any wireless stuff myself. Is someone else who knows deep down inside that they'll never use their wireless adapter again wants to help out, feel free!

I'll keep an eye peeled for one.

10. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The Turbonet card is directly supported in SW version 3.0 for the Philips S1. If that is the same version running on the Sony, then no need to do a kernal update on the hard drive. As for PPP (if you want to try it), I was able to use the Tivo serial cable with a serial to USB adapter cable and my netbook computer. I think I have an IR blaster in my spare cables box. If so, you can have it for the price of postage.

11. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    *groan* Your post just brought back the memory of trying to use the TRS to DE-9 cable with a computer. At the time I had a need for the full DB-25 pin set, so my computer had a DB-25 connector. What could have been an easy install was complicated by the need to string together something like two adapters and a gender changer before it finally worked. Oh how I'd love to have started with a simple USB plug!

So the TurboNet is probably the best one to send? I thought it was Providence that, right after posting before, I spied one original TiVoNet adapter with the same NE2000 card that came with it in plain sight in the box of Ethernet cables that I was reaching into. Now if I can find the matching box of PCI cards, I might find the TurboNets...

12. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Speed Daemon,

I am such a tenderfoot that I do not have the 10 posts necessary to send you a personal messsage. I am hoping you can send me a PM?

I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

13. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Oh yeah? Well when I started playing with computers we not only had to make our own serial and parallel cables, we also had to make the ports to hook them to. And we liked it that way.... :D

14. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Tivo Series 2 Sony SVR-2000

Version 3.0-01-1-010

Tivo Service number 010-0000-501E-4B10
    Tivo Account status 5:product Lifetime Serivce

GC: Tuesday, Nov 5 at 9:34am
    Dial in configuration code 000,TFA=0
    Remote address: 1
    Ir controller version 00034
    Ir Database Version 86

Converter box ---------------------- IR Code
    Zenith DTT900 and DTT 901 ---------- 10090

Does anyone know a better code / setup for getting
    the Zenith DTT-901 to work with a Series 2 DT? I am currently trying code 10075-B.
    I hope to simply get rid of the leading zero.

I've been using a Zenith DTT901 with a Series 2 TiVo (currently running v9.3.1) for nearly three months now and every channel change has been flawless. [The only exception is doing rapid channel up/down's on the remote control without waiting for each one to complete. This is a known limitation in the current implementation.]

Make sure you have the IR blaster centered between the right edge of the power light and the channel down button (I haven't found the positioning to be at all critical).

I'm extremely happy with the Zenith DTT901/TiVo Series 2 combination.

Hi Speed Daemon,

Thanks for all the attention.

"Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!"

Wireless LAN with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and an Android tablet. TomatoUSB is what I am running on my Linksys wrt160v3 router.

All of my pc's run Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have one laptop dedicated to the one TV that I have. It is an older Gateway with 2 gb (that I will soon be upgrading to 4 gb).

1.67 Ghz Intel 32 bit is on the dedicated laptop.
    I have an old 32" CRT tv and the connection from my laptop to the TV is S-Video and a mini-plug that goes to my receiver.
    =======================
    "Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?"

One ethernet port on the dedicated laptop and at least 3 open on the router.

Tivo Series 1 - Sony DVR-2000
    Version 3.0-01-1-010

Ir Database Version 86

Tell me if you need any other information.

Thanks very, very much,
    Jim Lee

15. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Strike that last post. My cut and paste skills are really hurting.

Let me try this again:
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Speed Daemon,

Thanks for all the attention.

"Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!"

Wireless LAN with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and an Android tablet. TomatoUSB is what I am running on my Linksys wrt160v3 router.

All of my pc's run Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have one laptop dedicated to the one TV that I have. It is an older Gateway with 2 gb (that I will soon be upgrading to 4 gb).

1.67 Ghz Intel 32 bit is on the dedicated laptop.
    I have an old 32" CRT tv and the connection from my laptop to the TV is S-Video and a mini-plug that goes to my receiver.
    =======================
    "Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?"

One ethernet port on the dedicated laptop and at least 3 open on the router.

Tivo Series 1 - Sony DVR-2000
    Version 3.0-01-1-010

Ir Database Version 86

Tell me if you need any other information.

Thanks very, very much,
    Jim Lee

16. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The original version with a separate NE2000 card and the newer all-in-one TurboNET cards both work fine in the SVR-2000. Since the S1 is already on version 3 no setup is required except the dialing prefix.

Using it for anything but guide updates is a completely different matter. You have to hack it to get telnet working and install additional software like mfs_ftp or tyTools.

17. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi Speed Daemon,

Are you still out there?
    This is my7th post so only 3 more and I can actually message you.

Can you message me with your email address?

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

18. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012

So if I got a hold of a tivonet, turbonet or ne2000 card I would not even have to bust open the TIVO to get the hard drive upgraded?

Also, I assume that there are advantages to using the tivonet or turbonet cards over the NE2000, or no?

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, as long as you have to take the cover off of the TiVo (you'll need a rubber hammer) in order to lift one corner of the motherboard to push the network card onto the motherboard's edge connector...

When you say "get the hard drive upgraded", do you mean install a newer verision of the TiVo software that's already on their, or actually put in a hard drive with greater capacity?

20. sasjzl

sasjzl New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I am wondering if I need to make any software changes on the hard drive. Remembering that all I want to do is to allow my TiVo to 'phone home' via the ethernet connection to my laptop PC Windows 7 box. I am find with getting the cover off and installing the card I just wanted to know if it was necessary to remove the drive. It sounds like it is not necessary as long as all I want to do is to be able to 'phone home' through my LAN and laptop.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Lee