Series 1 tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nickersonll, Aug 26, 2007.

1. nickersonll

nickersonll New Member

Aug 26, 2007

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a series 1 tivo - that doesn't require a subscription. Anyone selling? I need it to setup in my gym for players to review their skills. Also please respond on how much I can expect to pay.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    $50-$75 on eBay.

3. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    Hmm, I was considering just shipping off my recently disconnected Sony Series 1 (with a fried modem) to charity but now I'm wondering if eBay would be a better option.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Sell it on eBay and send the proceeds to your charity. It would probably do more for them then trying to figure out what to do with your old TiVo. Note that if your charity participates, you can designate through eBay that part of all of the selling price goes to the charity. See http://pages.ebay.com/givingworks/index.html I've done this to benefit a charity I volunteer for, and I found that the average selling price increases for such auctions.

5. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

Why not send it to nickerson as your charity??

6. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Does it have lifetime subscription? I have two series 1's with lifetimes on both of them.

7. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I have 2 with lifetime subscription... one's got a bad audio thing and one's got a bad battery.

Anyone who wants to tinker a bit to fix them, have at it, PM me!

8. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Any lifetime Tivo that is capable of dialing in has value since it can be added to someones account then enabling them to receive a MSD on monthly subscription units. Even if the unit is not used. There should be a market for them. Why does this sound dirty? Oh well.

9. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    Not in my case. The lifetime subscription was transferred to a S2DT in the recent transfer offer. However, this one only has version 1.3 software so it can still be used as an unsubscribed recorder if someone were to so choose. Looks like I'll need to do a little eBay research.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The version of software it has now does not matter - only what was shipped from the factory.

11. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If it shipped with 1.3 it can be used standalone.

Supposedly if you do a Clear & Delete full reset it will lose the ability, but a call to TiVo CSR can get it reset.

12. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Can I interject here with a quick question? When you talk about the S1 in standalone mode, does it download program guide data or is it just a big dumb vcr at that point without program data?

13. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The latter.

14. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Loadstar, your tagline LOAD "*",8,1 gives you my highest respect.

My first computer ever was a hand-me-down Commodore 64 my grandpa gave me. I'm 23 now, but for a 7 year old, that sure was an awesome computer, even though it was already ancient by the time I got it. Pretty powerful graphics and audio capabilities for its time, though.

[/Thread Diversion]

Back to the topic! :)

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I would actually say it's *worse* than a 'big dumb vcr' (or to use the modern equivalent, a DVD recorder, or intentionally subscription-free hard drive/DVD recorder).

The Tivo without a subscription will nag you every time you hit the Tivo button..
    Plus, I'd say that setting up a lot of manual recordings is more tedious than on a VCR-like hard drive recorder.

(I used to not feel this way, and got a second Tivo waaaay back when to use subscriptionless.. it actually ended up having lifetime -- it was a known broken unit.. but I ALSO have a non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder to use along with my two Tivos.. so I see the benefits of both.)