series 1, stuck in guided setup, broken modem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by janie83, Sep 25, 2007.

1. janie83

janie83 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I just got a free but kind of broken TiVO which I'm hoping to fix... it's stuck in guided setup right now. It is a Philips series 1 with a broken internal modem.

I'm not that familiar with TiVO's (this is my first one) but I was trying to read up on ways to make this work. I read about some success with an external modem, and I tried to use one, but I didn't have any luck with it. The TiVO would get stuck in "Dialing". It's possible that I entered some modem codes wrong or had some of the switches in the wrong position, but I also read that the box needs software version 3.0 or up to work with an external modem, and I'm wondering how I can tell if my box has the right version. Is there any way to tell from guided setup mode? Are any of the options different?

If I try PPP over serial, do I need a certain software version for that as well?

Thanks for your help!!

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Besides an external modem, another option is a TiVoNet network card which will allow use of broadband connection instead of phone line.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  4. janie83

janie83 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    yes, I read the old "external modem success" thread; that's how I tried all that stuff in the first place. But I am not sure if my box has the right software version necessary to use an external modem. Is that possible to figure out?

Also, I was just thinking - if I got hold of another TiVO unit that is the same model as my original one but with a working internal modem, can I put my drive in there, run guided setup, and then move my drive back into my original unit without having to rerun guided setup? Does guided setup do anything that ties the hard drive to the specific TiVO box?

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    This is just a guess, but you might be able to call customer support and give them the TSN. They me be able to tell if it has the last software update or not. Beyond that, there is no way to find the software version until guided setup is completed.

The S1's don't have the same limitations as the S2 when it comes to swapping drives so yes, you can do the guided set up using another Philips S1 tivo and then just put the drive back in the original tivo.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    External modem, Serial PPP, and drop-in Turbonet require 3.0. Pre3.0, you need to hack to add those.

If you can find a same model to go through GS, and possibly download the latest software, go for it.

You can also get an Instantcake CD or other software image and apply it to that drive, or a new drive.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you are going to pay for service, you might as well toss the Series1 and get a free Series2.