Series 1 reboots at 2nd guided set up call

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jclausing, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jclausing

jclausing New Member

Mar 28, 2002

Advertisements

My Series 1 (Phillips PTV100) had a hard drive crash. When I first bought the unit new, I immediately pulled the original drive and upgrade it into a two drive system. I kept the original drive "just in case". Since my daughter is using this Tivo now, I decided to put the original drive back in and "marry" it to the other drive to create a slightly smaller dual drive unit. Everything went fine, Tivo booted up, etc. I entered guided setup and it makes the test call just fine. When it gets to the second call, I select a phone # and the unit reboots. I have tried about 6 of the phone numbers with the same result. I did no updates to the original drive when I pulled it. Could that be what is causing this. Doesn't sound like a bad modem given it makes the first call just fine (not to mention the modem worked fine before the hard drive died). Any ideas, this is really frustrating!!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Try running a kickstart 57 (http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php). That helped in some cases back when a lot of S1's had a problem downloading guide data due to a firewall change on TiVo's end.

Some other things that have helped are to delete all of your thumbs ratings to decrease the size of the database, and re-running Guided Setup using the smallest headend that you can find like antenna only. If that works you should be able to switch back to your correct settings once the programming database is healthy again.

3. jclausing

jclausing New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    OK, tried the Kickstart 57 and had the same problem. Set it up for antenna and now I can get though the second call but it errors at the end of indexing and wants me to call again. I have tried this about 10 times so far withthe same result. I reduced all of the selcted channels down to 1 thinking that would minimize the amount of data but that didn't work either. Would any of the other kickstart codes be helpful such as the one to force it to download the latest software? Any ideas? Thans gain for the help.

4. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    A KS52 might help, but I don't think the database is kept on the same partition as the software. If you don't have too many recordings you could try a Clear & Delete Everything.

5. jclausing

jclausing New Member

Mar 28, 2002

Advertisements

There is nothing on either drive but doing the 52 code doesn't seem to do much. After I enter the code, it changes the lights from yellow to green in about 30 seconds. It does not change the display on the screen so it almost seems like it doesn't do anything at all. I am pretty sure I am doing it right as the green light goes to yellow and it lets me enter the code. I can tell it accepts the code it just doesn't seem to do much (if anything) after that other than boot up and go back into guided set up. Tried this several times and still get the error that it failed indexing days. Any other thoughts? This is very frustrating...

6. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that I have done a KS52 on a Series 1 and it went through the whole cycle of rebooting, connecting, downloading the OS, etc. Unfortunately it has been a long time and many beers since then so I could be wrong.

I'd run the Clear & Delete Everything at this point. It doesn't sound like you have anything to lose. If that doesn't do it, you may have to start from scratch with a known good image like InstantCake.