Series 1 prefers OTA to cable? (Refuses to record cable version on dual-setup.)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gastrof, Mar 28, 2011.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I used the "claim you have satellite" work-around to get my Series 1 working with an OTA digital converter box. Also set it up to work with cable.

A couple weeks ago I wanted to record something off the cable version of our PBS station, and was surprised to later find the recording was made off the OTA version. (Different channel numbers, so I could tell.) "What was wrong with me?" I wondered.

This afternoon I set something up for Wednesday afternoon, same situation, but took a look at the "To Do" list.

The TiVo showed the recording set to record off the OTA version thru the converter box.

I'm certain I set it for the cable box's version of the channel.

Tried several more times, and each time the recording was input as the cable version, but showed up in the "To Do" list as the OTA version.

Ran a few five minute recordings, and sure enough it was going to the OTA version, despite having been set for the cable version.

Again, the channel numbers are completely different. (For example, let's say the cable version is channel 12, and the OTA version channel 37.) The only thing they have in common is their call letters in the TiVo channel banner.

Now, other channels in our area (say, channel 5) have exactly the same cable and OTA number, and I've never had a problem differentiating between the two. I can set up to record whichever. (Sometimes cable's better for reception, but our cable company tends to crop widescreen shows, so for letterboxed widescreen I use OTA.)

The only thing I can figure is the call letters are EXACTLY the same on the TiVo's channel banner with the PBS station, whereas on other channels, even if they share a common number, the OTA version is marked differently (usually a "DT" added to the call letters).

Could that be what's happening? The TiVo sees they have the same banner ID, so it defaults to the "satellite" version for some reason?

Thing is, I checked the "Channels I Receive" list, and there a couple other channels also show up as having the same ID for both versions, but they differ when the TiVo banner is displayed.

The PBS station seems to be the only one where the call letters in the banner are exactly the same.

Again, could that be what the problem is?

In order to make sure I record the cable version on Friday, I've temporarily unchecked the OTA version from "Channels I Receive".

Test runs show it'll work, but if after setting up the recording I re-check the OTA version in the list, the "To Do" list switches the recording to the OTA version!

I'm leaving it un-checked until at least Wedesday.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    My theory is the Tivo is finding the first row in the database that matches the call letters, retrieves the channel number, the input source and changes the channel to that number. This way only one predicate is required in the search. It makes sense, because an S1 doesn't have a very powerful CPU or fast I/O. The FCC probably guarantees that call letters refer to the same channel no matter what the channel number or source is. If you have both an OTA and Cable channel with the same number but different call letters that might support my theory.

3. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    "The FCC probably guarantees that call letters refer to the same channel no matter what the channel number or source is. If you have both an OTA and Cable channel with the same number but different call letters that might support my theory."

Don't get what you're saying.

Let me repeat.

Some of my channels have different versions of their call letters in the "Channels I Receive" list.

Some don't.

Those that do have the same call letters in that list (for the cable and OTA versions) do NOT have the same call letters when the TiVo bannner displays (except for one). The OTA version usually ends in "DT" or something like that.

Some of my locals have EXACTLY the same channel number for the OTA and the cable versions.

There are NO problems with such channels.

The only channel that differs in this and that there's a problem with is the PBS station.

The only different thing about it is that it and it alone has exactly the same call letters displayed in the TiVo banner with both its OTA and cable versions...

...but the channel numbers are NOT the same, in this case...

And yet the TiVo refuses to record the cable version (automatically changing the set program to the OTA version) unless the OTA has been manually "un-checked" in my channels list.

Since all the other channels have different versions of their banner call letters, depending on if it's the cable or OTA version, I suspect this is the problem. Thing is, WHY does the TiVo not see them as different channels, since it's set up with both and two different channel numbers are given.

The call letters may be the key as to why it's defaulting to the OTA version even when a program is set for the cable version, but again, WHY? TiVo was even made to use dual lineups. Certainly the call letters shouldn't be making one the "default" version, since they're set up as being from different sources and the TiVo should see them that way.

I wonder if anyone out there has seen this sort of thing before in cable/OTA or cable/satellite setups?

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    IIRC when TiVo sees two channels with the same call letters it always pick the higher (or was it lower?) number. I think it was higher since back in the old days lower normally meant the analog version and the higher number was the digital version which theoretially would have a better picture. I think you would need to remove the one you don't want to record from the Channels I Receive list to get it to record the one you want.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    In the database every channel has a unique ID, and I think it uses that rather than the call letters when you set up a recording or SP. Maybe your PBS station has the same ID on both OTA and cable.

You might rerun Guided Setup to see if that clears it up.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's the lower channel number that Tivos use, and fwiw, always has been.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Back in that day (Series 1), you had the choice of RF analog antenna or cable signal, or analog baseband video and audio fed into the line inputs from the satellite receiver's line outputs, so the TiVo never saw any digital input, and couldn't have done anything with it if it had.

8. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Nobody said or implied otherwise, but thanks for sharing.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "...back in the old days lower normally meant the analog version and the higher number was the digital version..."

Back in the days of the S1 there were no digital versions of channels, except satellite, but that got converted to baseband before being sent to the Tivo.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a stand-alone S1.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    He didn't say anything about the S1, only the old days of cable and one doesn't have to go back more than 2 - 5 years to get to a time of analog and digital living in harmony on cable, which is well passed the time of the S1.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The OP stated that the S1 recorded the higher channel number.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    From the OP's OP:

" Series 1 prefers OTA to cable? (Refuses to record cable version on dual-setup.)
    I used the "claim you have satellite" work-around to get my Series 1 working with an OTA digital converter box. Also set it up to work with cable."

I don't know about you, but I get the impression he's got a Series 1.

13. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    In this case, it's the actual OTA channel number that's higher, and that's the one the TiVo is going to. The lower channel number is being ignored.