Series 1 Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by damorrison, Aug 7, 2007.

1. damorrison

damorrison New Member

Sep 10, 2006

Advertisements

I have an upgraded Series 1 Tivo (replaced original HDD with a 120GB). Recently it has been doing a bit of a "freeze up" behavior during all types of playback (live TV, old and new recorded shows). The freezes are temporary, but terribly annoying. Anyone have any idea what this is indicative of? Is it a HDD failing? Or is it some other hardware problem? Could it just be that the HDD needs some sort of "defragmenting" (I don't know if a linux HDD can do this or not)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    It could be something else but my first guess would be a failing drive. You should find your current and old copy of the kernel log and save them to your PC. Search through them for the messages that would indicate its having trouble reading a certain spot. Here is a portion of my logs from an S1 that had a dying hard drive
    Code:
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: IDE: tivo DMA engine aborted
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hda: irq timeout: error=0xd0 { BadSector UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound }, secCnt=208, LBAsect=13684944
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hda: disabled DMA
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hda: ide-tivo re-enabled DMA
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hdb: disabled DMA
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: hdb: ide-tivo re-enabled DMA
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: cachecard: readsectors returned 0 instead of 65536!
    Jul 14 01:20:59 (none) kernel: ide0: reset: success

3. damorrison

damorrison New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Thanks Cipher!

Sorry to show my relative ignorance here, but would that be something that I can access via telnet or do I need to pull the HDD from the unit and hook it up in my desktop PC and use the boot disc?

Also - if it is telnet, which directory would the kernel log exist? and would it be kernel.log? Is there an easy way to do a file system search?

Thanks again!

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can view it form telnet or bash, or FTP the file to your PC and read there.

The file you want is /var/log/messages

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

You can view the logs from Telnet, Serial, Ftp, TivoWebPlus or by connecting the drive to the PC.

The entries I posted were from /var/log/kernel AND /var/log/Okernel (Okernel is the old copy)

If you plan to view them directly on the tivo with the Joe editor you can do a find by hitting "CTRL-K F" then typing "ide" and pressing enter and finally "CTRL-C" to cancel. Now you can continue to hit "CTRL-L" to keep finding the next entry.