series 1 not stable anymore after upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by michaelrj9, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1 of 22
    michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

Hi all,
    Thanks to all you guys and Gals I upgraded my Tivo but I have a problem, My series 1 directTv-Tivo has become unstable after a single 400gb hard drive upgrade.

Sometimes I have to re-power the Tivo to get any of the Now playing list to work,Sometimes it shows that it is still recording a program will not let me stop it or delete it until after Re-power. Yesterday it rebooted my its self.

Any ideas what I can do to get it more stable again.

Thanks

Michael

2. Nov 7, 2006 #2 of 22
    tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    It sounds like you have a defective hard drive; its also possible that you could have a unit that is failing due to a loose cable or some other problem. First thing I would do is run full manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive you just put into your unit and see what happens...

3. Nov 7, 2006 #3 of 22
    puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Hmm... no real information given in the post, but I would expect the 400GB hard drive to be new (and thus a low probability of a failure). Series 1 combo box upgrades more typically suffer from a non-lba48 aware kernel or the 400GB drive can lead to a partition larger than 274GB initialized without the -r 4 switch (though I forget if that prevents the box from booting or not).

4. Nov 7, 2006 #4 of 22
    michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006

It is a New Seagate ata/100 7200 rpm. I did do the lba48 kernel with the -r 4 switch

If you search for my name Michaelrj9 you will see how I was told to do it.
    They will not let me put a link to it as I am a newbie. :(

I don't have a problem of it booting up.
    Just after a while maybe a couple days or so in the Now playing list it shows the programs but when I select it to play it just goes back to the now playing list it will not play until I re-power it it.The same thing goes with the programs that never show it is done recording until after I re-power it up.yesterday was the only time I seen that it rebooted by itself.

Any other information you need just let me know.

Thanks

Michael

5. Nov 7, 2006 #5 of 22
    tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...

Advertisements

How about those results of those diags?

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 22
    michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Hi,

I did the full scan With the Segate cd ( Diagnostic software) .
    That's why it took so long to get back to you with the results.

Everything
    passed :)

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

Michael

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 22
    spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    try -r 0

-r 4 might not be the best value to use.
    -r 0 is the default value that TiVo uses for all their media zone minimun allocation unit. (2048). This is the case for BlessTiVo -> married "B" drive as well.

We know mfstools w/ default value of -r 2 doesn't work for a partition greater 270GB but this might be a bug in mfstools or tivo software itself.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 22
    tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    That's a good sign. Its always good to do the low-level format, as well - but that is a destructive test and would require you to rebuild your drive again.

Can you please document the *exact* commands you used to create your new drive?

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 22
    michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Hi,

A few months ago when I did the upgrade I started this thread and you guys help me out.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=318610

I honestly don't remember if it was

mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hd
    or
    mfsrestore -s 200 -r 4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hd

Is there a way to find out without losing all my programs?

Thanks

Michael

10. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Well, if you did the latter, then that would explain why you are having problems; if you didn't use tpip or copykern, then you probably have NO initialized swap, AND a kernel that can't see the entire space of the drive.

If you honestly don't remember, you can pull the drive and run pdisk on the drive to check the size of the partition - and/or you can run copykern on the drive and it will implant the LBA48 kernel and initialize the swap partition (as well as report its size); it shouldn't hurt anything.

You might want to consider starting over from scratch, though - otherwise you might be building a house of cards here - if you don't know what you originally did, its very difficult to make recommendations to fix it without knowing what is really going on...

11. michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006

I will try pdisk and see what it shows.

I have a quick question I have 171 hours of saved programs and 5 pages of Tivo sugestions (was 12 pages but I deleated some of them) that should be past the limitation of the kernel correct?

If I have to redo from scratch I was thinking about getting a new drive to set up .Then eventually move all the programs on the drive I have right now to the new drive I will be buying.A guesstimate on how long would it take to transfer 171 hours? days,weeks,months etc.. Using a p4 3ghz 1 gig ram

I will be back with the results of the pdisk

Thanks

Michael

12. arctanstevo

arctanstevo bla

Mar 27, 2003
    S.F Bay Area
    If that doesn't solve it, I have a question:

Did you install TivoWeb/TivoWeb Plus?
    On some series 1's, the phone module could cause some of what you are seeing.

BTW: 170+ hours of shows to transfer, hours - probably over night

13. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Yes.

Send me a pm

14. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    The question was already answered - why take the discussion offline?

15. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Sorry, I'm not a careful reader.

16. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Reading carefully this time, pdisk doesn't show you what r values he used.

17. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Its not the 'r' values that are the problem. The problem is that he may have picked a large swap size and its likely that he didn't replace the kernel/initialize the swap space.

The best thing to do would be to either

a) start over from scratch so that at least he knows exactly what he did and didn't do

or

b) rerun CopyKern which will ensure that the kernel and swap are replaced and initialized respectively

or

c) run pdisk which will at least reveal the parition sizes (including swap) which will at least answer the question of whether he built a large swap partition and perhaps refresh his memory on whether he initialized it at all

Also, there is still the slight possibility of it being a bad hard drive as low-level formatting hasn't been done yet - it may seem like a low probability, but we have seen drives pass basic and advanced tests, only to fail the low-level format - so I wouldn't completely rule that out, either.

18. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I'm no expert and relatively new in this subject but looked at mfs file system enough to know that maybe using r value other than 0 (2048) might be a bad idea.

TiVo uses standard size is 2048 and I don't think they test their software on media zone minimum allocation size other than 2048.
    I ran some test resizing zones and changing min allocation size and had problems with nonstandard min allocation sizes and each time, TiVo wanted to fsfix and mfscheck on the file system even though inodes, zonemaps, bitmaps checked out at the end. Maybe I missed something.

I don't know how long people have been using r 4 values but in the case of fsid spanning across different media zones w/ different minimum allocation size might have problems on some software versions. I'm just guessing here but has anyone ran test to know it's not the case.

I read on the other thread that he did try kerncpy to copykern util to copy the hacked kernel and activated the swap. I never used that tool so I don't know what it does.

19. michaelrj9

michaelrj9 New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Hi all I have been trying to run pdisk to see the partition information but I am having trouble like usual.
    Please remember I am almost clueless with linux commands etc..All I know is what I have seen in different posts.

I have a few different cd's when I did the upgrade a few months ago. 1 is the mfs tools cd,1 is the ptvlba 48 cd,1 instantcake cd and more cd's?

I only have the tivo drive in the computer (no windows xp etc ) I have put the tivo drive on primary master and also tried primary slave with the same results

It seems like I can not figure out the correct comand to mount the drive.
    I tried: mount /dev/hda (or hdb)when I swaped the cable
    I get: can't find /dev/hda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Then I tried mkdir /mnt/dos

mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos
    Then I get: You must specify the filesystem type.

Whenever I try pdisk I get No valid block 1 on /dev/hda (or hdb)

I have been looking at different post with these same problems but they don't have any answers that work for me.

Then I tried the ptvlba48 upgrade
    then I received the Green Screen of death but it finally fixed itself.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong If anyone knows just shout it out.I am still trying to read up and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks

Michael

20. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    michaeljr9 -

you don't need to mount the disk to run pdisk.

at this stage, you might want to consider starting over from scratch. the foundation of your current upgraded drive is unknown, and since your skills are limited, its inhibiting your ability to do a postmortem. its not clear to me that this is the best direction for you to take.

if your goal is to have a stable system, starting over using a documented approach would be your best bet. (fully test drive, mfstools with good backup image, copykern, you are done...)

if your goal is to continue learning about some of these peripheral utilities which may or may not help to tell you what is going on, then press on with pdisk and let us know what the partition map looks like - no guarantees however that this will help you get a stable system, since we will likely never know specifically what the problem is...