Series 1 not able to complete download!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sushikitten, Jan 18, 2006.

1. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...

Advertisements

We just got a new Series 2 and hooked it up no problem. It will be on broadband when we get our tivo adapter this week, but we used the phone line with a local number no problem to do guided setup. All is well.

So, the problem.

We moved the old Series 1 to the bedroom and it REFUSES to complete the guided setup.

It calls in to the 800# to get the local #s just fine.
    It does the "test phone connection" with our local number just fine.
    It connects to the local number just fine for the update (connecting, housekeeping, setting clock, etc.).
    It starts the download just fine--but 10 minutes INTO the download, it fails.

And it's done this about 10 times at all times of the day (and no one is calling us at 11pm or 7am to disrupt the call). I've tried different numbers (we only have one local number, so I tried out-of-state) with no luck. Grrrrrrr. This unit will be hooked up to wireless broadband when we get the right adapter (we bought USB instead of ethernet--it was previously hooked up to broadband, but we don't have a cable long enough now), but we had to start from scratch since we had to change some cable settings (no cable box in the bedroom).

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Move it back to it's previous location where it was connected to broadband and redo guided setup there and then move it to the bedroom.

3. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I never even thought of that but will give it a try tonight. Thanks.

4. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    You're welcome. Hopefully, it will work.

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005

Advertisements

Normally on a series one to get it to use network you have to enter ,#401 dialing prefix in phone setup. If you switch back to phone you need to get rid of the prefix in order to work. I think maybe Tivo skips anything listed there for the 800 number call.

6. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Yep, I took the broadband prefixes out, so that wasn't it - it was actually connecting, but dropping part of the way through.

We hooked it back up to broadband in the living room, did the update, and finished the Guided Setup. However, hubby forgot you can't turn it off for 4-8 hours (until the guide data is finished loading) and unplugged it to set it up again in the bedroom and now we can't use it (set programs to record) because it's still trying to load the guide data. So now we have to take it back AGAIN and do the set up AGAIN and leave it plugged in until it completes it's thing. It still records and we can still watch TV, but we can't schedule anything else.

Grrr.

Oh, hubby thought the disconnect might be something like the phone line can only handle so much data since it's actually hooked up for ethernet. Not sure if that makes sense to me, but who knows.

7. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You mean you're trying to use VoIP with a modem? Sometimes that works, but don't count on it. See if the VoIP provider claims/disclaims that modems will work on their service.

8. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    No, sorry, I explained that badly. No VoIP.

He hacked the S1 to use ethernet/broadband. In doing so, he thought he remembered having to disconnect the phone/modem inside the tivo. However, when we saw that the phone connection still worked, he thought that when he did the hack, it somehow would only let a certain amount of data through the phone line before it crapped out.

I'm probably still not explaining it well. :eek:

9. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

You should be fine after this is done.

10. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    If this doesn't work, you'll need to troubleshoot your phone environment a little. Start with this online article and also take a look at this one.

Keep in mind these articles are written with Series2 menu paths in mind.