Series 1 lifetime subscription transfer to series 3 is TOO MUCH $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hegewald123, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1 of 43
    hegewald123

hegewald123 New Member

Apr 27, 2005

Advertisements

I bought into Tivo and upgraded to a lifetime subscription. Wow now that HD tv is available and affordable I wanted to upgrade my tivo to series 3. I found out Tivo wants to extract more funds to acctivate my new lifetime subscription with this new series 3. What a rip!

Here is what Tivo needs to step up and do for loyal customers.
    All owners of any Tivo that paid into the lifetime subscription should have a significantly lower fee to acctivate their new Tivo. i.e $50.00 max to cover their customer support they may need to get me in the new Tivo.

The idea of loyal customers comes from being treated as a valued customer, not one that management could care less if we upgrade or not.

Raise the prices on the Tivo if you must but give the lifers a break on updated subscriptions. They should be rewarded for risking their technology purchases on Tivo versus a competitor.

-Not likely to get a new Tivo because I feel I overspent to begin with...

2. Apr 4, 2008 #2 of 43
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    You bought that lifetime on that series 1 for the lifetime of the series 1. If you were a very early customer there was some other language that has allowed those folks to transfer their lifetime subscription. If you aren't in that group, sorry. Suck it up and either buy a new TiVoHD with lifetime or don't.

3. Apr 4, 2008 #3 of 43
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Would you pay $599 for a TiVo HD that didn´t require any subscription?

4. Apr 4, 2008 #4 of 43
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There have been several promotions to help you move from an S1 to a newer HD unit, it's no one else's fault that you missed them, or felt they weren't a good enough deal for you.

I thought the $199 transfer deals were a decent price, and did it for my S3 and then my TivoHD.

If you don't feel the current prices meet your needs, then don't buy them, it really is that simple. Currently they're asking for $399 for lifetime purchase (not transfer) They feel thats a price they can use and not go belly up, they can't keep giving it away, they do eventually have to start turning a profit.

Tivo amortized the average life and figured 4 years was break even for lifetime, at this point you have to have had your S1 for significantly longer then that, I'd say you did very well, and I'm sure bought Lifetime for a decent rate.

Diane

5. Apr 4, 2008 #5 of 43
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

I keep seeing the word "loyal Customer", for a customer with Lifetime Service TiVo not making any more money on you, your not paying TiVo anything, what does TiVo get for your "Loyalty" an ongoing expense providing you guide service, TiVo not even making money yet as a Co. so all their customers are getting a good deal. Lifetime was sold (after Jan 2000) on the TiVo itself not on your lifetime, so as TiVo does not make much or any money on most of the hardware they sell why would they want a loyal Customer that just cost them more money.
    Sell your lifetime TiVo and help defer the cost of a new HD TiVo, as example I purchased a Series 2 for about $40 after rebate, paid $299 for lifetime service, used it for 3 years and sold it on E-Bay for a net of $295, total cost of ownership $44 for three years or $1.23/month. How much better deal could one have, it's too good a deal and that's one reason why TiVo is not making money. I am a loyal Shell gas customer and the SOBs are charging me $3.30/gal and making billions and not giving me any break on the price of their gas.

6. Apr 4, 2008 #6 of 43
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    As someone already mentioned, if the OP bought lifetime for the original $199, assuming a $9.95 monthly subscription rate (I forget what it used to be) that lifetime was paid off after a mere 20 months. As the Series 1 was discontinued a long time ago, TiVo is now paying the OP, not the other way around. TiVo stopped offering Lifetime to all customers over 2 years ago, so even if the OP "got just under the wire" with his Series 1, that box is now paying him, and not the other way around.

If the OP bought his lifetime prior to January 2000, he is in the position of being able to transfer his lifetime subscription ONCE FOR FREE to any new TiVo of his choosing.

While I feel the current $399 deal is too much money given the current $9.95 MSD rate, had the OP not waited too long he could have gotten it for the fairer $199 transfer rate. As Diane mentioned, that's his own fault for waiting too long.

As far as "loyalty", while I am on my third Nissan car, I don't expect them to offer a new Z for $1000. While I have purchased several Sony and Dell products, I don't expect a new 72 inch flat panel or a new XPS Extreme for $100. TiVo has offered pretty good deals in the past, and will likely do so in the future, but I don't expect them to be delusional about it either.

7. Apr 5, 2008 #7 of 43
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Reader's Digest version
    I would be so loyal to TiVo if they just gave me stuff

8. Apr 5, 2008 #8 of 43
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Good summary, ZeoTiVo.

In business, a loyal customer is defined as one willing to pay a premium for your product. Loyalty is rewarded by better service, stronger consideration of what you want (i.e., your feature requests are given more weight), etc. You get those considerations because you are willing to pay MORE, not LESS.

9. Apr 5, 2008 #9 of 43
    rodbac

rodbac New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Uh, I'm sure every relevant point has been covered, but a "lifetime" subscription refers to the lifetime of the unit, not the customer.

10. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Lifetime
    gave TiVo a competitve balance with ReplayTV. TiVo also collected funds far in advance of actually providing the services. This allowed them to stretch those IPO funds and remain competitive. While users benefit from the long life of the hardware, TiVo, Inc. has reaped some benefits too.

I have never regretted my purchase of lifetime service on Series1. OK, maybe for a minute or two during the great Daylight Savings Time debacle. The $199US price was fair and reasonable even when TiVo was barely out of 'start up' mode. The current $399US lifetime price mostly reflects todays monthly service price as opposed to the $6.95US a month back in 1999.

I continue to wait for solutions before pulling the Series3 trigger. Somewhere along the line closure of tuner resolver, QAM without cablecard or Series4 will finally get me to roll over my grandfathered Series1 lifetime...

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Currently the only way to transfer a lifetime subscription from an S1 to a S3, is to have an S1 that was sub'd with lifetime before January 2000. That can be done for free, so your argument that it's to much $ is incorrect.

But what you actually discuss is the cost of a new separate lifetime subscription for the S3. if you go that route, you still have a lifetime sub on the S1. It's not transferred, it's not even relevant to any other lifetime sub you may pay for.

What it boils down to, is that you don't have a clue what you are arguing about.

12. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    As a point of interest: The original service agreement was written in a way that tied Lifetime Service to the person, not the box.

13. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Makes sense to me. Besides being a long time subscriber, I consider myself a loyal customer because I'm willing to pay more for better (no ads) service.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    exactly why those people get a one time free transfer to another box - now that it is clear lifetime is for the box not the person.

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Not exactly true. It was always tied to the box and not the person. However, the original language was deemed by some to be ambiguous enough that Tivo clarified it, and to avoid litigation, grandfathered people who purchased lifetime before a certain date, giving them one free switch to a new box.

This was very early in Tivo's existence, and only applies to lifetime purchased around or before January 2001 if I recall correctly.

People are funny about monthly fees. I'd much rather pay $9.99 a month on my new Tivo HD then to pay a one time fee of $399.

16. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I doubt there are enough people who are willing to pay more than we're already paying so that there wouldn't be ads.

17. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I could be wrong, but If think that there would be many takers if TiVo offered the service I referred to. The only way to know for sure is for TiVo to try it.

18. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    :rolleyes:

I bought a Series 1 Sony 30 hour Tivo in March 2001, and paid lifetime service at the time. I don't remember what I paid for either because I don't care and don't pay attention, but whatever retail was at the time.

At some point in time later I bought a Series 2. Not one of the very first ones, but one shortly after that. I think it's a 60 hour, but I don't remember. What pushed me over was there was a promotion that if I bought the Series 2, I could transfer my lifetime service from the Series 1, either for $99 or for free. Again, I don't remember. I got rid of the Series 1 shortly after that.

That was about years ago. I've been using the Series 2 since then. And all that time I've been paying Tivo nothing. I paid for one Series 1, one Series 2, and one lifetime service. That's it. And Im a very "loyal customer." But they make no money off of me.

Smeek still has his original Series 1 with lifetime and nothing else. He's a loyal customer. It's a stupid term. A business needs to make money.

Finally, when Woot had their special on the refurbished Tivos, I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I just hooked it up yesterday. My options were $399 lifetime, $99 a year, or $9.99 a month.

While I probably should have picked 99 a year, I picked $9.99 a month. To pay $399 is pretty stupid.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep. I still have my 6.95 month to month subs that I value a lot more than my lifetime . I even had one month to month 6.95 that I paid for 4 months even though I was not using that DVR anymore. I will likely do a lifetime transfer from my S2 to a series 4 if it lives up to its promise but even 199/6.95 = 28 months

20. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    It is true that TiVo intended it to be tied to the box, and not the person. Unfortunately, it didn't read that way.

I originally posted:
    Is this better?: As a point of interest: The original service agreement was written in a way that lead some to believe that Lifetime Service was tied to the person, not the box.