Series 1 Directv Tivo Locked In Reboot Cycle

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by hawk64804, Sep 10, 2007.

1. hawk64804

hawk64804 New Member

Sep 9, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Hughs series 1 directv tivo GXCEBOTD unit. The unit had been upgraded from a single 40 gb hd to a two 40 gb hd unit several years ago using msftools. The unit recently stopped working and constantly reboots in the welcome powering up screen. Thought I might have a failing haed drive problem. Purchased a copy of instant cake and formatted a new 160 gb western digital hard drive. The same thing occurs with this drive too. Does anybody know what the problem is? Can it be fixed? Thanks to anybody who can respond to this cry for help.

2. xjrspeed

xjrspeed New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I had the same problem with the same unit. Had two 160gb drives in my directivo but without the lba48 support. As such, it was limited to the 127gb per drive. After a few years, my system crashed and went into the "welcome ... powering up" screen.

After reading about the 3.5c migration, I took the opportunity to get a single 320gb drive with the intention of using instacake to access the larger drive. According to posts by "dvdupgrade", the latest version of instacake was to address the changes of 3.5c. As such, I purchased and downloaded the latest version this past weekend. After numerous attempts and configuring my computer exactly as instructed and having the instacake software "bake" my drive without any reported errors ... it didn't work. My directivo would not get past the powering up screen.

The drive was brand new and it would work if I installed it using the old MFS Tools software and with the 127gb limit. However, the instacake version just didn't boot.

In the end, I restored my old original directivo image (not the one on the instacake cd) using the latest boot lba48 cd and ran "copykern". The directivo booted and reported approximately 280+ hours of recording space at the variable quality setting.

It seems to be working fine at this point but my tivo software has not updated yet beyond 3.1. As such, I don't have the updated Now Playing features. I'm going to let it update and see what happens ... now that I know how to get it working again. I hope the update doesn't crash the drive again.

3. hawk64804

hawk64804 New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I lost the backup image to my drive. It was on a drive on my computer that went bad. Do you know where I can get a non updated image?