Series 1 cheap drive source

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by GoalieEd, Jun 23, 2011.

1. GoalieEd

GoalieEd Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Lawton, OK, USA
    My TiVo upgraded drive seems to be dying. I'm looking for a replacement drive in the 100GB range, but it seems that most of the drives readily available are SATA and not comparable with my old parallel drived TiVo. I have the instantcake software already and an older pc to set it up with

If anyone can recommend a source of drives at a reasonable price I would be thankful.

2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    You can still get PATA drives. Be careful of Newegg - there are many reports of poor shipping practices, though they're supposed to have got their act together and ship drives better.

However, they aren't cheap anymore. I had to buy some 500GB PATA drives, and Best Buy turned out cheapest (in store, even!) than online. And I still paid $80 each. I could buy 2TB SATAs for that price on sale. Everyone else wanted $100+ each.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm assuming you have a lifetime subscription or a pre-Oct. 2000 unit that'll work manually.*

Go ahead and read the adapter thread for which dwit gave you the link, then get a 1TB. You'll pay a lot less per MB or GB or whatever unit of capacity with which you want to compare apples to apples.

And you'll have a lot more room!:)

The Series 1s are finicky about which drives they'll work with, even the PATA drives, and they're finicky about which SATA to IDE adapters they'll work with, so read that thread carefully, and read all of it.

This particular post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8378349#post8378349

mentions a combination which works in a Sony SVR2000, which means it'll also work in the non-DirecTV Series 1 Philips TiVos.

*In the unlikely event you're still making monthly subscription payments, it's time to get on Craigslist and find a good used S2 dual tuner or an S3.

5. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Ed, did you buy a drive? I found a 120gb Seagate which IIRC I used in my DirecTivo a few years back. Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping from 01460.

@Others: I do believe that the earlier TiVos could not address anything larger that a 128GB/GiB drive, as the max I ever had in my Series2 was dual 120GB, but with SD that was 250 to 300hr of capacity.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Google "copykern" and you'll find out about a kernal patch for S1 TiVos that let's them use drives over the 128/137 (depending if your measuring decimal or binary) GB limit, which means a maximum of 2 1TB drives (with Marvell chipset SATA adapters!).