Series 1 and digital converters

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by EJ, May 27, 2008.

1. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND

Advertisements

Will the series 1 boxes eventually be updated to work with the new digital converter boxes?

thanks,
    ej

2. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Only TiVo knows the answer, and so far they are not sharing it with the rest of us.

Digital OTA converter support for the Series 2 is not even certain, much less the Series 1.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Wasn't there a link just a few days ago to a page at tivo.com that addressed both models? Didn't it say they were thinking about possible options for the Series 2, and would let people know anything done for the Series 1 "when and if"?

4. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Found it.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/setupmytivo/Digitalantennasupport.html

TiVo Series 2 DVR Customers

If you rely on a free over-the-air television signal received through a roof-top antenna, or “rabbit ears”, you will need to purchase an analog-to-digital converter box using a government coupon. See https://www.dtv2009.gov for details. TiVo is currently working on a free software update scheduled for release in the Summer of 2008 which will enable most Series2 DVRs* to function with the new converter boxes.

*Series2 DVRs with either a 649 (Dual Tuner) or a 542 prefix, are only intended to work with cable and satellite and this functionality will remain unchanged. No additional functionality enabling these DVRs to receive a digital antenna signal will be added by the software update.

TiVo Series 1 DVR Customers

If you rely on a free over-the-air television signal received through a roof-top antenna, or “rabbit ears”, please be advised that we are investigating possible options so that you may continue to enjoy the TiVo service. Please stay tuned for details.

5. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

Unfortunately that FAQ doesn't give any more assurance to the OP and other Series 1 owners still using OTA. "We are investigating possible options so that you may continue to enjoy the TiVo service" could very well mean giving them a discount coupon towards the purchase of a TiVo HD, or a Series 2 with the ability to tune a digital OTA box, by the time next February rolls around.

6. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Never said it did.

Just providing what TiVo has actually said on the matter. No more, no less.

7. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yup. Sometimes that leads to some additional support from TiVo, sometimes it doesn't. :shrug:

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They cannot provide any OTA capable Series 2 TiVo anymore, so that is out.

More than likely, they will offer a TiVo HD deal.

The chances of an actual software update are slim to nil.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wouldn't you be happy if it meant perhaps a FREE TivoHD, or a very low priced TivoHD with subscription transferred (and maybe rate grandfathered)? I'm totally making that up, but it seems to me that it could be done reasonably, which would also get more S1/S2 off of their servers/phone lines.

10. Pab Sungenis

Pab Sungenis Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Vineland, NJ
    Heck, I'd just be satisfied with the option to transfer lifetime free of charge from an S1 to a THD or S3. That would be a reasonable answer for a good many S1 users, and might move some more boxes, too.

I know a few S1 owners who have refused to buy the newer boxes because they don't want to lose their lifetime.

11. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Ummm....

Try THIS...

"TiVo is currently working on a free software update scheduled for release in the Summer of 2008 which will enable most Series2 DVRs* to function with the new converter boxes."

For source, see my second reply above, with quote and link.

(Did you maybe mean an update for the Series 1s?)

12. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    So I just gave my Dad my S1 with lifetime he is OTA only and has coupons for the digital boxes that expire in July. If the S1 by some miracle does get a software update, is there any good bets on which boxes it will support?

Also, the modem seems to have gone on this machine. I have a turbonet card that had been working fine for a couple of years, but at his place he would need a wireless bridge to connect to his network. I don't want to buy a bridge, and then try to go through the hassle of walking him through how to install both the turbonet and the bridge and connect to his network if the S1 will be a doorstep in 7 months.

Any thoughts? He is in an area where he doesn't have access to cable or sat.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, I meant that an actual software update for Series 1s is extremely unlikely to happen. I know full well that the Series 2 update for DTV boxes is extremely close.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I'd bet on one of the boxes that are reported to have IR codes that change the numbers (LG/Zenith, RCA boxes).

I wouldn't bet on Series 1 getting an update though. I would more bet on TiVo offering an upgrade offer, or sell off the Series 1 to someone that can use its existing cable/satellite support for some time to come.

Get powerline extenders. They are easier to set up than Wireless Bridges. In either case, both can be transitioned to a Series 3/TiVo HD, if it comes to that.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yup - in a word "broadband"
    Series 1 does not have it and that makes them a revenue drain when you consider the possible revenues lost by keeping series 1 in service

16. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I doubt they would give away a TiVoHD for free, but discounted (say $100 off if you buy it through TiVo.com) I can definitely see.

A free Series 2 is more likely, especially if TiVo decides to introduce a stripped down version that lacks a tuner, meant to be used with STB's only.

I can also see a repeat of the Lifetime subscription transfer offer especially for Series 1 customers towards a Series 2 or THD/S3 model.

Because of satellite, and Canadian subscribers due to lack of CableCard access, the Series 2 is still a viable platform. The Series 1 I can understand pulling support for, and that's why I will be very surprised if TiVo actually does issue a software update that will allow these models to work with a digital OTA box.

17. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Even if TiVo were to offer a tunerless version meant for use with a STB (whether satellite, cable, or digital OTA), similar to some DVD recorders and DVD/VCR combo units on the market today?

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I would *not* be happy with either of those choices, since I spent $$$ to transfer my lifetime subscriptions from S1s due to previous deals. (It sounds like the people you know didn't know about those deals and/or didn't choose to participate in them.)

I was mostly hypothesizing about things that could be done to alleviate pain for people who truly only get OTA, and would be totally stuck after Feb 2009.

19. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Quite frankly, that is nothing more than sour grapes. People choose not to partake in deals for many reason, and just because a different set of circumstances comes up with a better deal for someone else does not mean you should be unhappy.

In my case, I've got a Series 1 I'm still running on lifetime while I pay the MSD for a Series 3. I'm waiting for a theoretical S4 (that includes OCAP or Tru2Way or similar) before I excercise my one time only grandfathered free lifetime transfer. Am I sure I'm doing the right thing? No. But we all make decisions in life, and sometimes they pay off, and sometimes they don't.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They could, technically, but won't. I don't know how that would pass FCC rule muster, but just to upgrade a few hundred thousand or less S1 OTA users, I doubt that TiVo would make a special TiVo box for those. Although it would be as simple as leaving the tuners and one encoder off, there is cost in making a custom manufacturing line for them, the software and keeping a SKU for it. The Series 2 DT as it is now, is the end of the Series 2 line I suppose, so they will not develop a new one.

IMO, they would be clear to make the coming DTV tuner update available to all Series 2s, but they don't see it that way.