Serieries3 Coming on Wed. What should I know?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cptodd, Nov 19, 2006.

1. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

So the new Series3 is on the way. What do you folks think I should know/be prepared for?

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Incredible PQ, super sensitive HD tuners and sleeping peacefully at night knowing that your shows will be there when you wake up.

3. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    hehehe. All good things in my book!

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah, you should be in Hi Def heaven in Chicago. That's my original stompin' grounds -- sometimes I wish I lived back up there just for the HD market, but, then I thing about all the traffic, and I go back to being contented out here in the Quad-Cities.

5. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

oh! This is my first foray into HD stuff. I alwasy said that I did not need it. THen the other day I got the LCD bug and had to have one. then when I heard I could transfer my old lifetime (or one of them at least) I HAD to bite!

6. Timber

Timber Active Member

Apr 28, 2002
    NoVA
    Mine's arriving today! :)

I've been following this folder on TiVo Community since before the Series 3 shipped. Finally got myself an LCD last week and watching some live HD with OTA so the waiting is tough. Based on a call to Customer Service my local cableco (Cox-NoVa) seems to understand the issues now and if I'm lucky I'll get an appointment tomorrow. Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday as we're going away to the inlaws for the holidays!!!

-=Tim=-

7. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yea I could have gotten an apt for wed but I was not sure when the box would be coming so I waited until Friday for the install. It seems that you don't have to wait forever for an appt with these cable card installs.

8. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Don't get all excited till you get the cable company to come out and get the cablecards installed and working. That's where a lot of the troubles are.

Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Good luck.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Just picked up my second lifetime. So the next good deal that comes along on another series three and I will be doubled up on Series 3.

10. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh, go ahead and get excited. :) I did and Stanley is correct I held my breath for a week waiting for the cable cards but everything turned out great. Don't forget you can still record your local HD's even without at cable card.

11. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Ok I will get excited. So you are telling me that I can hook it up even without the cable cards? It will work (though I know I will need the cable cards to record any scrambled content)? So I don't need to wait until friday (when the cable guy is scheduled to come) to hook up the machine?

12. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Yeah, I ran Guided Setup with Cable & Antenna and was recording 2 HD shows (either OTA or QAM-cable, the latter lacking Guide Data, of course) within 30 minutes after unpacking my S3. Adelphia appointment was 4 days later!

The best part was the single-cable (HDMI) connection to my TV (via the HDMI switch) for sound & video. :)

Just repeat Gudied Setup (heck, it'll even prompt you to) after the CCs areinstalled. And you CAN test CC-decrypted digital channels right after CC install even before having to repeat GS. Check channels in ALL tiers (basic cable,e xtended, basic digital, digital premiums, QAM-HDs, Premium HDs) and don't make the mistake of trusting the installer when he says "they'll show up shortly, I'm done, see ya!" ;)

13. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    oh that is excellent! That means I can set it up tomorrow and wait for the cable guy on Friday!

14. lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    Just how good is the OTA tuner?

15. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    It's just a good OTA tuner. Quite sensitive, reacts instantly to turning the antenna, and picks up as many OTA channels as well as any other above-average OTA tuner. My (cheap, noname) LCD HDTV is as good, but I've heard of people comparing the S3's tuner VERY favorably against Sonys & some other tuners.