SERIAL Port on FIOS STB

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Omg_tacos, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Omg_tacos

Omg_tacos New Member

Jul 19, 2006

Advertisements

Looking for any info on Verizon FIOS and their use of the Serial port on their set top boxes for channel changing. Anyone got it to work?

Thanks!

-Abby

2. daneyul

daneyul Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Right now, it's disabled (confirmed with Verizon). Hopfully, they'll put it in an upcoming version of their firmware, as IR channel changing is sloooow and unreliable.

Anyone interested should call (888) 553-1555 to let them know its important, and TIVO users are less likely to get FIOS without it. I've read threads where other Providers (like Comcast) enabled the feature, on the very same STB's that FIOS uses, after customers complained.

3. Cgrisamore

Cgrisamore Member

Dec 25, 2003
    Flower...
    Got FIOS installed 3 weeks ago. IR channel changing has been 100% bulletproof for me.

4. daneyul

daneyul Member

Jun 24, 2006
    So...you're saying that chaning the channels is simultaneous (or nearly so) between the TIVO and FIOS STB????

Everyone I've ever talked to about this, or read of on the web, is getting 2,3 even 4 second delays between the TIVO and the STB (or DVR). I personally have had two DVR units in, then had them replaced with two Set Top Boxes--all 4 were very slow in changing the channels.

How long does it take for you, from entering a number (or pushing the up/down channel button) before the FIOS box makes the change?

5. bombshell

bombshell New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Montgomery,...

Advertisements

I contacted my cable company last week about upgrading my Motorola DCT 2500 firmware to v7.54 and enabling my serial port. In Excerpt 1 below, they said that f/w v7.54 was unavailable and did not acknowledge the serial port issue.

Is anyone aware of a Charter Communications office that does offer f/w v7.54 upgrades to the Motorola DCT2500 and enable serial ports, so I can refer my local outlet to them for guidance?

=======================
    Excerpt 1:

....Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. I would be glad to
    assist you in the best manner possible.

I understand that you would like to upgrade the DCT2500 to firmware version 7.54

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. Currently version 7.54 of
    DCT2500 is not available. However, we will notify you when it is available.

If you have additional questions, please contact our Customer Support
    Representative at....

+++++++++++++++++++++++

TiVo Series 2 (stock) - 80hr, sw v7.2.2
    Motorola DCT2500 - Charter Communications (Montgomery, AL)