Serial connection and SDV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dan203, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Recently my cable company (Charter) started using SDV. It was a little flaky at first, but it seems to be working OK now on my S3 and Premiere units with Tuning Adapters. However both my Mother, who has a S2DT, and my Wife who still uses one S2 unit have complained recently that they are having trouble tuning certain channels. I checked it out and when you attempt to tune any of the SDV channels on the box via the TiVo, which is connected via serial, the channel changes, tunes for a second, and then starts skipping either forward or backwards to the next non-SDV channel. If I tune the same channel via the cable box remote it works fine, so it seems to be specific to either TiVo or the serial connection. I was planning on switching to IR instead, but I'd rather not if anyone knows of some way to work around this. So has anyone else run into this? And if so is there any way to fix it besides switching to IR blasters?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. LordGoofy

LordGoofy The Lord Of Goofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Dan I have been having the same problem and wonder if a solution has been found? I can't switch to the IR blasters because I have two units in the same area ( and I don't think I have them anymore.) I have tried both a GI and Motorala box Non-HD Cable box.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Switching to IR is the only answer that I know of. Multiple units in the same location aren't a problem if you 'tent' the IR blaster.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I never found a solution. My Wife said she didn't care because the channels she watches on that TiVo are not SDV. However my Mom has been complaining about it too and wants me to swap out the serial cable for the IR blasters. (I forgot about it until she brought it up again a few days ago)

Dan