Sent a Premiere to another member and it won't get past the start up screen.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dadrepus, Mar 7, 2019.

1. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    It was absolutely fine when I sent it 2 days ago but when they now try to start it up it gets stuck on welcome. Was I suppose to notify Tivo of the transfer? What could be the issue/issues?

2. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    So reading other posts with the same problem, the drive must have been shaken up with the transit, so it is coming back.

My next step is getting a new hard drive for this unit and another one of the same age (although not broken yet). I see drives at NewEgg for $50-500gb ata drives. Is this what I should be looking for? I have discussed the procedures to get an image and use the tools offered here to format the new drives but I have no pc. This would entail parallels, windows on a partition. So, in your opinion is it worth the extra cost to purchase the parallels/windows software or just buy from weakness

Has anyone tried using Mac cloning software to just clone an existing drive? If it would not work explain why, I just want to learn.

3. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    If you don't have a PC .. safest thing is to buy from weaKnees .. I assume this Premiere unit has Lifetime?

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If the drive was damaged in shipment it's rebuild time, but it could just be a loose cable. I would try re-seating everything before going down that road.

The minimum drive size is dependent on the model number. It could be anywhere from 320GB to 2TB for a Premiere, so we need to know the model number. Cloning the existing drive probably won't help if the original drive is so bad that it won't boot.

If you're familiar with virtualization software like VirtualBox, building a replacement drive on a Mac even without Windows is still possible (just a PITA). You would basically create a virtual Linux box with the DvrBARS image as the source drive, the new physical drive as the destination drive, and the MFSTools ISO file as the boot CD. Then you would clone them with the "dd" command.

Buying a pre-built drive from weakNees is always an option, but it will probably cost more than you could sell a Premiere for.

5. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, I had the buyer open her up and check all the connections. The drive was spinning but I guess not enough to initialize the complete boot up process. I have already ordered 2 2 terabyte drives from ebay. I am going to corral my son in using his gaming PC to fix the drives. I ordered 2 as I have 2 lifetime premieres and figured I'd nip the second one before failure. I will be asking for images soon as i get back the tivo and the new drives are delivered. Pretty comfortable doing things in terminal on a Mac so I'm hoping using his PC will be a piece of cake. Just need to do the appropriate reading first. WeekNees wants $129 for a 500gb drive. I paid $50 for a 2TB. Worth the effort.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You could probably use a Cloning Dock to clone your running Premiere Drive to the 2 new 2TB Drives and then expand them both out to their full size and put them in the 2 units. You'd still probably want a Windows Machine.

-KP

7. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I do have an external dock usb3 I believe, that fits 2 drives. I'm going to follow SOP and do it the way they recommend. Reading up on it now. I do have an old Linux machine I could boot up, hmmm. Was playing around with Ubuntu for a while. Might work. the software disk i'm suppose to use is a Linux kernel, maybe? Got the machine back, the new drives. Raring to go.

8. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.