Sense8 (S02E01) "A Christmas Special" - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I enjoyed it - although if you asked me the least likely show to have a Christmas Special episode it might be Sense8.

It does seem a little off the characters storyline to suddenly have them celebrating the holidays...

Apparently the internet is freaking out about what they are calling the Christmas Orgy and the recasting of Cepheus. The recasting threw me for a loop at first and I am not sure the new guy has quite the same endearing quality. Apparently the original shot 2 or 3 episodes for season 2 before he either quit or was fired.

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I thought the orgy happened during their birthday celebration, not Christmas? Also I don't know why the internet would freak out about that after the orgy during Season 1.

The recasting of Cepheus was old news; it happened last spring some time so I wasn't surprised by it. He had very little plot and few scenes in this episode, so not much for me to judge him by. I did think it was funny the wink and nod they did by having Jela say "you look very different now". The reason for his being replaced is even now not clear (to me) although it's safe to say that Aml and at least one of the Wachowski's did not get a long at all.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought the new Cepheus was a major letdown. The old one was so...joyous. This guy just doesn't have that same certain something.

Bighouse likes this.
  4. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Agreed. It totally sucks that they had to recast the role, and the change definitely affected my level of enjoyment for the Christmas Special. The original actor always had a huge smile on his face and naturally exuded happiness. This guy just seems ordinary. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to the new actor. It's not like we have a choice. :(

5. Jan 1, 2017 #5 of 13
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL

Advertisements

I loved the use of meta humor in this episode. The line about how Cepheus suddenly looked "different" has already been mentioned, but I also thought it was really funny when Felix said, "What are they going to do, shoot me again? That would be terrible plotting!" :D

Bighouse likes this.
  6. Jan 1, 2017 #6 of 13
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I enjoyed it as well. and I agree with the new actor is just missing some element that made Capheus such a joy to watch. I also loved the meta nods. I loved Lito's mother.
    I can't wait for the rest of the season.

7. Jan 3, 2017 #7 of 13
    SWFan

SWFan Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    Until I read this thread I missed that the actor playing Capheus was different. :oops:

8. Jan 3, 2017 #8 of 13
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I enjoyed this, but some friends hated it. I must admit it felt more like an epilogue than a new season. I was hoping that the intensity of the finale would continue forward.

9. Jan 3, 2017 #9 of 13
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To me, it didn't really feel like an epilogue or a prologue. It felt like a middle-of-a-season episode. Very out-of-place for a special.

10. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    hmmm....I could say something but I won't.

11. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    I agree with everyone about the actor now playing Cepheus. Here's what one website had to say about it: The circumstances behind Ameen’s exit are murky but sources indicate that there had been some sort of conflict between Ameen and Sense8co-creator/executive producer/director Lana Wachowski that flared up at the Season 2 table read in Berlin and worsened as filming progressed in India, leading to Ameen’s exit a couple of episodes in and the recasting of the role. Creative differences may have played a role in the departure.

That might explain why he didn't have a lot in the original season.

While I enjoyed much of the Christmas special, some of it felt forced, or like it was written by someone who was doing a "after-school special"...it just felt odd to me at times like they had lost their original writers.

My favorite arc is the story of the woman in prison...and how she helps those who are in need of some kung-fu magic. Next would be the Russian kid, followed by the bus driver, gay actor or the trans coder. My least favorite arc? The heroin-using cop.

I'll keep giving it a go though and hope it gets more interesting.

uncdrew likes this.
  12. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Missed this; did not know it was returning. Off to locate a copy.

13. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Well the episode was titled Happy F****** new year!" :)

Enjoyed it so, so much, but was very much distracted by the new actor. He just didn't have the same aura.