Senior needs help hookih up tivo

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by richard ehmann, Oct 20, 2006.

1. richard ehmann

richard ehmann New Member

Jul 14, 2006

Advertisements

I have model 81R8408 OR EN with two A/V out. can't figuer out how to hook up so i can "save to VCR".

Any help greatly appreciated,

Richard in San Diego

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Get yourself a cable set from Radio Shack meant to feed Audio/Video signals from one unit to another.

Most likely your VCR doesn't have an S-Video input, so you'll want a set of three cables.

One cable has a yellow plug on each end, and that's for video.

Your other two cables will have red and white plugs.

It's all color-marked so it's almost dummy-proof.

Plug one of the yellow plugs into your yellow (video) output on the TiVo.

Put the other yellow plug into your VCR's yellow "Video Input".

Do the same with the red and white plugs.

White out on the TiVo to white in on the VCR.

Red out to red in too.

Red is right side audio, white is left.

If by any chance your VCR isn't stereo, but is mono only, you'll need a "Y" cable as well.

The white and red cables should still plug into the TiVo, but on the other end they'll both go into the "Y" combiner, and THAT will go into your single audio input on the mono VCR.

If your VCR is stereo and has both the red and white inputs, ignore this. :D

Your two units are now connected.

Any time you want to record from the TiVo to save something on tape, set the VCR to use its Audio/Video inputs instead of its TV tuner. (You'll have to check your manual to see how. Different machines do it differently. Might be as simple as hitting channel "00" on your remote, or hitting an "aux input" button on the remote.)

You should be all done. Start the VCR recording, and start the TiVo playing.

You'll end up with a tape copy of what was on the TiVo.

3. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Does this help?

[​IMG]

4. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    [​IMG]

5. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

If you get really stuck, I'm in San Diego from Wed. evening (the 25th) through Sunday with very little to do during the days while my wife is attending a conference, so send me a PM and I'll come by and help. :)