Sending content to another TiVo with no subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by il_guru, Jul 18, 2011.

1. il_guru

il_guru New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum - I bet this has been answered before but I can't seem to find it.
    I have a TV in my bedroom where there is no coaxial cable coming in - right now the TV is attached to a Roku.
    I would like to be able to watch on the bedroom TV recordings from my TiVo HD that sits in the living room.
    I thought of various convoluted ways to do this - including using a PC as a media server that would continuously copy and decrypt TiVo recordings and then point the Roku to that media server.
    Another option could be having a Wireless Video Transmitter like the X10 – but I red pretty bad reviews about those things.
    Probably the easier way to do this is to have 2 TiVo that talk to each other – but it bugs me to pay another TiVo subscription for a DVR that will not even be connected to the cable and that will be a “passive” receiver.
    Has anybody attempted to connect a TiVo with subscription to one that does not have one?
    Any other idea on how to solve the issue described above? Slingbox seemed like a good idea until they pulled out of the market the slingcatch
    Thank you

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    MRV transfers between Tivos require two paid subscriptions. There are other options besides using a Tivo to do what you want. Probably the easiest involves using a Windows 7 PC with Media Center and using a media extender, like the XBox 360, in the bedroom. Connection is via a home network. Windows 7 Media Center can be used as a DVR with a tuner card installed. The media extender can share any recordings made on the Media Center PC. Currently, the XBox 360 is the only media extender still being marketed for use with a Media Center PC. However, there are still models by Linksys, HP, and D-Link that show up regularly on ebay. The Linksys extenders are somewhat plentiful and come in two flavors - one with a DVD player and one without. The HP is a little nicer, but tends to be a bit scarcer. I have never actually seen one of the D-Link extenders. The XBox 360's tend to run a bit hot and can get to be loud, although the current slim models run a little quieter and give off less heat. Personally, I'd recommend the HP extender for the bedroom if you can find one.

There are a few other options as well, such as SageTV and one of their media extenders. SageTV just sold out to Google so I'm not sure what their status currently is. The good thing about using Windows 7 Media Center is that you can use one of the new cablecard tuners from Ceton, SiliconDust, or Hauppauge to receive encrypted channels from any digital cable or FIOS network. The Ceton has four tuners, the SiliconDust has three, and the Hauppauge has two. The Ceton and the SiliconDust models are the only ones currently available, but the Hauppauge should be hitting the streets in the next couple of months. SiliconDust also has a 6-tuner model, but it's basically two 3-tuner boxes in the same chassis and requires two cablecards. Ceton is coming out with their own 6-tuner model, but it only requires a single M-card They'll also be introducing a 4-tuner USB version at some point. The Ceton InfiniTV4 is currently $299, the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3-tuner version) is $250 (the 6-tuner model is $500), and the Hauppauge has a projected price of $129.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Won't work. An unsubscribed, empty TiVo can't do anything.

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    You are mistaken, it makes a good doorstop.

5. il_guru

il_guru New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    mr.unnatural thank you for the comprehensive replay.
    I wonder what is the likelihood that Comcast will hand over a cable card for my PC - they are really particular about giving those out.
    I will look into an older HP receiver too.
    Thanks
    Tony

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Just tell them you want it for a Tivo. They may be reluctant to give them out but the law says they have to support cablecards. When the tech shows up direct him to your PC with the cablecard tuner. The Ceton tuner software has a diagnostic utility that brings up the cablecard info that the tech needs to get it activated.

FYI - The HP extender model No. is the x280n. The Lynksys extender without DVD player is the DMA2100 and with DVD player is the DMA2200. The D-Link extender model No. is the DSM-750.

7. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    I don't believe Comcast has much of a choice.
    They are required to supply them for cablelabs certified devices (or something like that).

I have a Ceton tuner in one of my PCs and Comcast had no problem getting it running.
    I'd say the Ceton device's internal webpage and diagnostic tools make it easier to see and diagnose problems than with a TiVo.
    (Although I physically installed the cable card since I was familiar with how far it should go in.)

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Not true - works fine as a cable box, decrypting all channels with a card including full trick play of live TV (both tuners). Very cheap way to add another STB in a house, especially with Comcast's new credits for using Cablecard.

9. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Every city that comcast does business in has a local office for box exchanges, other equipment, paying bills, etc. Get the address (they don't like to give it out). Walk in and ask for a cable card. They will scan the card and give you some paperwork to sign. You will need to call them when you get home and hook it up, to have it activated.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While the situation may have changed in anticipation of the Aug. 1 rule changes, most Comcast local offices would not issue you a cable card. They insisted on a truck roll.

11. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Just make sure it is an MCard and not one with an upstream capability. I have been able to exchange a CableCard at a local office. Though you should be sure you know what to insist the CSR on the other end of the phone when you call NEEDS to get into their computer.

12. section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    slingbox works great for bedroom viewing, over a lan or fast wifi you get pretty decent video