Sending a Dash with NewKinetix RE

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by vphares, Jan 15, 2012.

1. vphares

vphares New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Shreveport, LA
    I have a Tivo Premiere with the new 20.2 software. Decided to get the NewKinetix RE software and dongle so I can use my iPad as a universal remote. After a short learning curve things are working nicely except I can't seem to send a channel number with a dash in it using a macro. (I only have OTA channels.)

According to NewKinetix I should just type a dash in the channel number field and it will be sent to the device and work. (It does work just like that on my other TV without Tivo).

NewKinetix support doesn't know why Tivo isn't receiving the dash. Does Tivo send a special code or sequence for the dash? I tried using a two dashes in sequence and I tried using a period instead. All I get are numerals, no punctuation at all. With NewKinetix help I also added a pause in sending the channel number string to the Tivo but that didn't help.

Any suggestions or insight are welcome.

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I don't have an iPad. But can your software send a skip command (to skip forward 30 seconds)? The TiVo remote uses that same key to insert a dash in a channel number, so you could try whatever key does that.

3. vphares

vphares New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks David. The problem is that in creating the channel buttons you just type in text using the keyboard on the iPad. There is no way that I have found to use the Skip button there.

I just got done with a Chat Session with Tivo support. He could not tell me how Tivo sends the Dash except to use the Skip button.

Based on what I am seeing, Tivo only interprets numerals unless there is some kind of header information that lets it know a dash or other symbol is coming. I guess the Skip button sends that additional information.

Everything else works. I just can't use Channel macros to go directly to the different channels. (Definitely a "First World Problem" LOL) Guess I will just use the Tivo App with the iPad and use the RE app just to turn on and off the TV & Receiver.