Send To VCR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by phatmatt, Mar 25, 2005.

1. phatmatt

phatmatt New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Chippewa...

Advertisements

Just for the heck of it, I checked to see if I was able to record to my VCR. I tried it, and VOILA!!! IT worked..... Not that I will ever need it,now that I have my lovely TiVO. Jst wanted to give it a whirl.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If that makes you excited, you can also record to a DVD recorder. :D

3. henesy

henesy New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    long island
    I was disappointed that I cannot watch something else while recording Tivo to my brand new Sony RDR GX300 DVD Recorder (a STEAL on e-bay.) . Overnight would be an ideal time, but unless Im not grabbing this concept, the DVD Recorder records exactly what is shown on TV, so if you turn off your TV you aint recordin nuttin, brother. Directv to DVD recorder is fine.. it's the same as VCR. You can use timer, leave, shut off TV or watch something else while you're recording.... but you can't do those things from Tivo to DVD recorder.

And, my God, the guide scroll is so slooooow!

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If it's a Directv receiver with TiVo, which this thread is in, you should be able to record one channel and watch another, or record 2 channels and watch a program previously recorded.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

You must have the TiVo connected incorrectly. The TV being on or off has no bearing on whether you can record to a DVD recorder. True that you record what the TV is displaying, but the TV can be turned off once you start the recording. You need to have the TiVo connected to the DVD recorder using the second set of outputs. I do it all of the time.

6. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

This is true except for when you are recording to a VCR/DVD recorder. Then you are stuck watching what is being sent to the VCR/DVD recorder.

7. walshbj

walshbj New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Some of the boxes TWC has out let you send a different signal to different outputs, so you can send one show to vcr/dvd and watch another at the same time. But I'd rather have the features of my hacked Tivo than that feature (it IS a nice feature) and just dub to dvd while sleeping soundly....

8. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    it's the same way I used to have to record TV with my old RCA receiver. The nice thing about my old receiver that I wish my new one had was the IR VCR control. The timer would automatically turn on the receiver, change the channel, and start the VCR recording. When the show was over, it turned the VCR back off (and the receiver if it had been off to start with).

I don't mind that I can't change channels, but I wish my R10 could auto start/stop the VCR when it archives. Although we won't be doing it daily, we will do some archiving and it's a pain to do manually. My wife archived a show the other night and came back to find that the show was completed, but that the VCR was still happily recording and would have until the end of the tape.. I'm sure it would be similar for DVD archiving since it works the same.

It's like archiving was a bit of an afterthought... without the basic tools like the TIVO actually being able to control the VCR/DVD recorder with something like IR, the process is always going to end up being manually and cumbersome.. I know RCA had the technology to do it, because my old receiver did this process extremely well. You never know, maybe someday we really will have network ability and I can work my magic from my computer and all will be well in the world. :) or not...

9. DFDureiko

DFDureiko New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Question,
    let's say I have 4 1/2hr programs to record on one DVD. Right now I have to moniter the recording to play each program. Is there a way to tell TiVo,,,,,play these four progams (or record these four programs to "vcr") so that they will simply play one after the other? such a simple thing that would make things so much easier.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    "Batch Play" is an often asked request. Sadly, it isn't possible.
    Well, you could hack it to allow batch play. Check the underground forum.

11. dwill104

dwill104 New Member

Dec 13, 2000
    South...

When he is talking about "recording Tivo", he means playing the program on the DTivo so the DVD recorder can record it, not recording something on the DTivo itself, which is what you are talking about.

All Dtivos outputs are the same, so you can't watch one recorded program on the TV while sending a different recorded program to a VCR or DVD recorder.

12. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    just another reason why I believe archiving was an afterthought or at least not very much time was put into it. The technology is there to do more complex tasks. Combine the existing scheduler functionality and the ability to RF control a VCR (which my *OLD* RCA receiver had) and you've got the ability to schedule multiple recordings straight to the VCR/DVD recorder and let the system control it while you walk away..who cares if you can't watch TV while doing it, as long as you're not having to hover over it. As Ron Popeil would say, "set it and forget it" is what I want..

Maybe it was simply cost cutting or maybe they just don't care if we can archive. I'd say it's a little of both combined with a sprinkle of copyright fears always being mixed into everything...

13. henesy

henesy New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    long island

My apologies if Im missing something Aaron, but this seems to be true ONLY if you are recording Live TV to DVD. My problem is with shows previously recorded to the Tivo drive that I want to record to DVD. Is this not so?

14. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Yup, while the DirecTiVo has 2 tuners it has only one output at a time. The Dish Network 522 DVR has dual individual outputs would facilitate doing what you want, but it's... well... just a sub-par piece of equipment - burning to a DVD doesn't mean much if it missed the recording to begin with!!

As stated before, you must have something really cabled wrong if shutting off the TV goofs your ability to record.

For my setup, I have one output set from my DirecTiVo sent straight to my DVD recorder, the other DirecTiVo output goes to a 4-port switchbox. Thus, I can feed my TV from DirecTiVo TiVo, DVD player, DVD recorder or VCR at the push of a button.

I've become accustomed to making my DVDs from the DirecTiVo during "off peak" times; not bad once you are used to it.

15. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    You're not missing anything... aaronwt has spake the truth, but didn't grasp (or forgot) that you need to "watch" (i.e. "play" or "save to VCR") a show to send to the DVD recorder which ties up the lone outputs of the box such that you cannot watch anything else while that is going on.

One option: A hacked DirecTiVo with a 'streaming server' added would enable you to watch recorded programs streamed from your box to your PC desktop while the DVD recording is being made.

16. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    But odds are if you've hacked the box far enough to allow streaming, you probably haven't used the 'Save to VCR' function in a long, long time. ;)

17. rjfrandle

rjfrandle New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Minnesota
    I never really understood why they even have the "save to VCR" function. When I dub something to my DVD recorder, I just play it back from the "Now Playing" list
    and hit record on the DVD Recorder. Am I missing something, or is there some function the "save to VCR" performs other than doing it the way I do??

18. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The Save To VCR function, as others have stated, allows you to playback a program but disables some of the remote buttons so that you don't accidently mess up the recording. It also puts up a 10s description before the playback starts.

19. pete363

pete363 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Illinois
    I have a HR10-250 connected to a Panasonic DVD recorder. with composite cables, and componet connection to the TV, the HR10 is connected to the TV with HDMI cable, my problem is that I cannot record to VCR from the now playing list, the only way it records is my manuslly pushing the DVD record button. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

20. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The TiVo can't control the external recording device (VCR or DVD recorder), so you do need to start recording on that device manually after starting the playback. Also, with the HR10-250 you need to set its output to 480i in order to activate the composite or S-video outputs.