Semzi gone need replacment got question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by asmith1978, Sep 24, 2011.

1. asmith1978

asmith1978 New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Hello I looking at getting a tivo permiere before sept 26 that when my guide suppose to shutdown I was wondering the antenna code for 9.99 can I use it if I buy the unit at best buy or do I need to buy it form tivo homepage

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Well that "Tivo killer" didn't last too long. lol

Who's next?

I sent you a Private Message with a link to the original offer from SolidSignal.com.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    It was never billed as a "TiVo Killer." Sezmi marketing focused on OTA with limited on-line content (never really stressed the awful "cable channel" option that was later killed) and the PROFILES capability was heavily stressed in the marketing. Considering the success of the far inferior Channel Master DVR (the current Echostar product, not the new forthcoming product not from Echostar) and the legions of people who actually LOVE that unit with all its huge warts because of no monthly fees, Sezmi failed primarily because hardly anyone knew of its existence. People plopped down nearly 3 times the cost of a Sezmi (a smart DVR) for a DUMB DVR because they thought that was the ONLY alternative for OTA only avoiding TiVo's too high for them monthly fees. The Sezmi at about $149 with a nominal $5 per month for OTA only recording with all its superior features compared and being a "smart DVR" (getting something of value in return for five bucks)compared to the Channel Master DVR would certainly have legions of users, but NONE of them knew of the Sezmi option. Heck, the new Channel Master wants you to pay hundreds a year for "enhanced" and "reliable" guide data as a trade-up option. OUCH!

In short, no advertising really killed Sezmi.

4. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Actually, the pay TV via OTA was a huge component of their service offering and part of a strategy to bring TV services (triple play or quad play) to regional telephone providers and such. Check out my original coverage from 2008:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-05/sezmi-demystified/

What happened is they didn't find any takers and went directly to consumer/retail. Of course, that didn't work out either. The $150 price point is irrelevant - that's a number designed to clear inventory. They launched at $300.

(I had suspected they were originally working with Qwest, who went on to bankroll ZillionTV, which also failed.)

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, I really had never heard of them before last week but they sounded very interesting. I liked the user profile feature and the thought of extra channels beyond OTA (without the high pricetag).

I thought Tivo had a mockup of having profiles on the Premiere. I wonder what ever happened to that. Did they decide not to do it?

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    They accidentally provided me this image at launch. I assume it exists because the feature is (or was) on the roadmap. Perhaps the mythical software version 16 has some traces?

[​IMG]

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With all those profiles you need more than two tuners to accomodate that many people.

8. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Like in the Elite..... :cool:

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You'd also need better tuner management so that back to back recordings with padding could use the same tuner, and share overlapping data, rather then requiring two separate tuners. Otherwise the highest priority user could easily monopolize all the tuners without even realizing it negating the whole system.

Dan

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVos are already used by multiple people in a household. So I don't see how this feature would require more tuners. My guess is it would allow you to tag season passes by family member so each can have their own Now Playing List. Sure more tuners would be nice but the profiles feature should work quite nicely with the current premiere too.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy New Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Sezmi was never marketed as a "Tivo Killer", if they had it would have been better for Sezmi as I like Sezmi much more than Tivo.

Sezmi was originally marketed as a cable TV service replacement and while Sezmi was far cheaper this was too hard of a market for Sezmi to compete with.

I think if Sezmi had marketed itself toward the Tivo market Sezmi would have done much better. I think that what Tivo makes better than the normal cable TV DVR, Sezmi took the same over Tivo. Sezmi had a far better UI.

I have been using Sezmi for two years and now once my Sezmi quits (it's still working so far) I will be using Tivo XL Premiere (connected it today), but I will be missing Sezmi which had the best TV user interface to date.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Can you give a lot more specific details, after you have used Tivo, about what Sezmi did better?