Selling my TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tthor71, Jul 31, 2007.

1. tthor71

tthor71 New Member

May 27, 2005
    If I were to put it on ebay, how much do you think I could get for my Series 2, single tuner, 140 hour TIVO with a wireless adapter(and 2 remotes) with LIFETIME subscription, used but in great condition?

I just got Dish Network and its 2 room DVR, its not as good as TIVO, but really can't work with my TIVO as I would like too, unless someone wants to enlighten me.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    deleted

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There really isn't any good way to use your TiVo with the Dishnetwork DVR but you could use the TiVo for OTA - which would give you a third tuner and free up space on the Dishnetwork DVR.

Original Poster updated his post to indicate his Series 2 TiVo has Lifetime so the next line that I had orginally posted in no longer turn - lifetime Series 2 TiVos still have a good value on ebay:

Regarding how much your TiVo would be worth on ebay - the sad but true answer is not much.

Good Luck,

4. tthor71

tthor71 New Member

May 27, 2005
    What is "OTA"?

5. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    OTA = Over The Air.

6. tthor71

tthor71 New Member

May 27, 2005
    How do I do that?

7. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    It works the same way that your TV does with an antenna.

8. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Are you saying that Series 2s can replace a tuner/descrambler so I wouldn't need to lease one from Brighthouse?

Oh, and considering the TiVo DTs are now selling for $62.94 new (plus plan) albeit with less memory than yours -- I'd guess that our plain S2s are worth dirt now for resale. :(

9. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    No, all series 2's need a cable box to get non analog Cable feeds.

Even the S2 DT needs a cable box for one of it's "tuners" to be able to record.
    The other only records analog cable.

phox

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    OTA is Over The Air. The single tuners can use analog antenna to record things until analog goes dark or Tivo adds support for Digital antenna somehow. DT models can not do any OTA. this however is no substitute for a cable set top box.

the lifetime on the OPs unit has some value as well but only to those who still want to use a single tuner Series 2.

11. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Rats. I was seeing $$$!. In the past, someone told me that I didn't need the BrightHouse tuner. And suddenly, I thought (and hoped) she was correct!

Thanks.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I think it's more accurate to say that either tuner can record analog cable, and the device can only incorporate one cable box, with the other tuner only accepting an analog cable input.

Acceptable configurations:

• both tuners run from analog cable
    • one tuner runs from analog cable and cable box feeds second input
    • cable box provides one input only (if there's no unscrambled analog cable signal)

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    many people bought the S3 and a good digital OTA antenna and dropped cable altogether. That is what she was referring to. The TiVo HD can do the same exact thing :up:

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No - what I was pointing out to the original poster (OP) was that his Series 2 single tuner Tivo can still be useful to him if he gets acceptable over the air (OTA) reception. I receive ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, & PBS OTA and record those networks with my Series 2 Single Tuner TiVos. If the OP gets acceptable OTA reception he can do the same thing (until 2/2009) and have the ability to record 3 things at once (2 with his satellite DVR and 1 OTA channel with his TiVo) and have the added capacity of his 140 hr. TiVo.

Thanks,

15. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Ah, je comprends de plus. Thanks.

16. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Boy, I don't know what other folks are talking about, in terms of value for a lifetime Tivo. I found one at a swap meet, paid $20 for it, and sold it on Ebay for over $300. It may be only single tuner, but to never have to pay a fee on it certainly has value.

17. tthor71

tthor71 New Member

May 27, 2005
    I agree, I have been watching them sell on ebay, and similiar unit have been averaging about $320 or so. I suspect it was forgotten that I had the LIFETIME plan.

18. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Yeah, you are going to sell your Lifetime Tivo, not Series 2 tivo 140 hour...

The boxes are a dime a dozen, Lifetime nolonger is.

Goodluck,
    Shane

19. jqp

jqp What's "Live" TV?

Dec 3, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I did the same thing... made the switch to Dish Network 622 DVR.

The 622 actually already has an OTA tuner in it, making it a 3 tuner box. The interface is not as slick as Tivo in general, but it does let you pick multiple shows to delete at once, and has a few other features that let you see the recording schedule for today and change things right from that screen... its not a biggie, but that feature does work better than Tivo.

The thing I miss the most about Tivo is the ability to transfer stuff to the computer HDD for archiving.

I sold my Dual tuner S2 and a regular S2 on Ebay for $50 package deal. I actually made as much money selling the USB ethernet adapters as I did on the Tivo units.

Good luck.

JQP

20. danstyk

danstyk New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I agree with others, ebay value is running about $300. I have been tracking them a lot lately as I am in the market for something like this. The lifetime sub is where the value is.

Also I do not see why you could not use this with Dish Network. You just cannot use it in conjunction with a Dish DVR, nor could you get HD signals on it. But a digital signal is not the same thing as an HD signal. I currently use a Tivo Series 2 with a digital cable box from RCN, and before that also used it with a digital signal from DirecTV, and before that (4 yrs ago) one from DISH. So you would need to use it as a secondary, non-HD setup.