Selling a Mini on Ebay

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Adam C., Oct 16, 2020.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Mini that I no longer use so I'm planning to sell it on Ebay. So I called Tivo to have the device removed from my account. They said they can't do that, and the new owner must call in and have the service transferred over to them. What exactly is the process for that? Is Tivo going to call me for authorization when the new owner tries to activate the device?

2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Usually just wait for the auction to be won, get their info and then call tivo. They can start the process, and then the new owner calls to finish it off.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

dlfl and tommiet like this.
  3. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Thanks. Specifically what info do I need to ask them for?

4. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Forget if it was an email adr or phone number. Can't hurt to ask for both. Whatever one's they have associated with their tivo account.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

Why wouldn't you just sell/offer it here!!! Eliminate the eBay fees and nonsense! An eBay sale of anything can get quite involved. It's often NOT a pleasant experience for a seller.

mattack likes this.
  6. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    From my experience, people here aren't willing to pay as much as what we'd get on ebay. At least from past experience. Not to mention more and more here are becoming disenchanted with tivo, see the writing on the cable card wall and know the days are numbered, thus less willing to pay what can be gotten on ebay.

And having sold quite a bit of tivo gear on eBay, I haven't ran into one single issue. People buying Tivo's typically aren't the scammer type. They're a specific audience.

7. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    You can call TiVo (before it's sold) and tell them it's changing hands and they will write up a ticket and give you a reference number. Simply pass the reference number to the new own and have them call TiVo when they install it.

8. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Thanks. I wish they would have told me that when I called yesterday. I'll call them back today and ask for a ticket. I don't understand why they have to make it so difficult. Why not just remove the TSN from my account ahead of time and make it available for anyone to activate later.

osu1991 likes this.
  9. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm willing to sell for $50 (shipping included) if anyone is interested. That seems to be about the average sale price on Ebay right now. I have 2 Mini's available.

10. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Keeping information about whether a device had all-in service on it requires them to keep the records somewhere. So they keep the information with the original owner until a transfer of ownership is done.

In your case, as noted by others, you are going to be telling TiVo that you are selling the device. You can start the transfer of ownership process, getting a ticket started for that to happen, then when you complete the sale you provide the ticket number to the buyer. You can also, hopefully, get the buyer's name and e-mail address, also their phone number if possible, and give that information to TiVo so they would only need to confirm with the buyer that information when they call to complete the transfer.

It isn't that painful. A little time consuming, but not really that bad. Just remember "transfer of ownership" and from there it goes smoothly.

11. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've sold a couple of Minis before and I never notified Tivo in advance nor did I have to contact them after the sale. As long as the new buyer has the TSN, Tivo will do the transfer.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    how much?

13. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    He said he'd sell it for $50 shipped.

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Sorry.. totally zoned out.. I skimmed the thread, didn't see that..

dbpaddler likes this.
  15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ok, just re-skimmed the thread and this part isn't answered either AFAIK..

which exact mini is it? Can I do skip mode and QuickPlay (including the backdoor to increase the speed) through it? (just edited one part -- actually I currently can do quick mode when streaming shows FROM P4.. so I would hope I could with mini -> P4 too)

My weird use case is to hopefully have basically 'roamio pro' UI on both TVs when I add a living room TV (and yeah I know I've been saying this for a while). Currently my two in use Tivos are stacked, and I 'drive' the P4 via streaming from the Roamio (or with the iOS app for some other things). So I don't want to have to 'use' the P4 without quick mode etc as the main UI on one TV.

that's worth buying a used mini for.

16. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I was able to sell the Mini's on Ebay. I also have a Roamio OTA that I'm looking to sell. Here is my question. Since the device is already active, is there anything to stop the buyer from just plugging it in and using the device under my account? How would the device (or Tivo) know that someone else is using it?

17. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    That's why you call tivo beforehand and start the process to release it. Then wipe it before you pack it up.

18. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking. I forgot to wipe the Mini's before I shipped them out. Does the Mini store any passwords such as my Hulu or Netflix accounts?

19. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    If you had them set up on there. But you can always reset your password and have all devices logged out so they have to sign back in.

20. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    So I called Tivo this evening to have the Roamio inactivated from my account. The guy did it for me and gave me a case number. I specifically asked him if the device would be deactivated when the buyer plugged it in. He assured me that it would be and that the buyer would not be able to access it with my account. So just to be sure, I plugged the Roamio back in, wiped everything clean, and repeated guided setup. The Roamio then just booted up as normal with no type of activation needed. So it would seem that whomever buys the device will have it activated right into my account again.