Selling 2 Series 2 DVRs - transfer cheaper subscription?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by edhen72, Sep 13, 2007.

1. edhen72

edhen72 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I am selling my 2 TIVO series 2 DVRs. Currently we pay 12.95/mo for the first and $6.50 or something like that for the 2nd. When I sell them, will that person be able to keep the $12.95 / $6.95 price or will they have to pay the currelty $16.95 or whatever it is for new subscribers? Basically I want to transfer the billing to someone else and change all the contact info. I do not have a lifetime subscription on the units (I should have though I know...)

Thanks
    ed

2. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL
    The new owner(s) will be subject to the current pricing. I don't believe you yourself would even be able to retain the "old" pricing if you were replacing these units with others.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If you are replacing these tivos, I would suggest that you transfer the current subscriptions by changing the service numbers from the old units to the new units via your tivo.com account rather than canceling the old and starting new subscriptions to avoid higher monthly costs and or any commitment period.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The New owner would pay whatever the going rate is for a 1/2 or 3 Year term.

5. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Chippewa...
    mick66,

Could you elaborate on how exactly one would go about transferring service from say, a Series 2 @ $6.95/month, to a new TiVo HD box? I am planning to buy one from BB (gift cards) :) in the near future.

Thanks

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    1. call tivo and have them make the switch
    or
    2. Use your tivo.com account (create one if you don't have one).
    got to tivo.com
    click on manage my account
    sign in
    click on change service number
    if you have more than one tivo you'll have to choose which one to change
    enter the service number of the new tivo
    click on change

Warning! This will transfer service from TiVo Service Number [old Tivo] to the new TiVo Service Number. [Old Tivo] will be deactivated.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You may not get any rebates if you do things this way!!

8. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Is there a way to transfer TSN from an old $6.95/mo MSD to a new unit that you purchased intending to use the rebate that requires "activation"?

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You will not get any rebates if you do things this way!!

However, there is no rebate on the TivoHD which was the subject of my response to John Wilson

10. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    No. Rebates don't just require "activation" they require "new activation" with a service commitment.

11. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Chippewa...
    mick66,
    Thanks for the explanation. I was referring to the TiVoHD as you stated but I'm now also considering another S3 with a $200 rebate. Obviously, the rebate prevents me from transferring the TSN to an S3 but it is a better system right now with the eSATA expansion capability. :)