Selling (2) HR10-250's - Going to cable and a Series 3

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tazzmission, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1 of 27
    tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

I hope this type of post is allowed.

Please delete it if I am out of line.

I am selling my (2) HR10-250's

I am going to go with cable + a Series 3. I'll buy another series 3 later in the year after (if) the price goes down.

I have not canceled DirecTV as of yet. I have not signed up for cable as of yet either. I will be doing both in the next few days. So I will need to hold on to them until I get the Series 3 in my house and Adelphia drops by to install the cable cards.

I wanted to give the good peeps here first dibs on the HR10's before I go to eBay with them.

They look brand new. They are about 8 months old.

They are replacements that I was sent for two that had failed HDD's.

They are the Made in Mexico models so they can be expanded fully.

I am asking for the fair market value.

I am including the access cards too. They have the original boxes, manuals, remotes and cables too...

Thanks

PM me if you are interested.

2. Oct 9, 2006 #2 of 27
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Good luck, tazz. I see the prices going up rapidly on eBay for them. I just hope you don't become a casualty of the CableCard wars, which is what stopped me from seriously considering the S3.

3. Oct 9, 2006 #3 of 27
    tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Not quite sure what you mean.

4. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Good luck and I'd like to know how this works out for you. I have Adelphia (hate them) in my area as well but Comcast is in the process of taking them over. I'm hoping they improve the service and I'm very interested to see how the Comcast Tivo DVR turns out. The other option is the S3 but not until the price comes way down. Unless the HR20 improves a lot, I'm going to have to start looking at other options.

5. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

Comcast is taking over here too. Adelphia told me that cable cards are $1.75 a month. I thought they were a flat fee up front and no monthly bill? Guess every cable company is differant.

6. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Rats....I wish you had posted this a week or so ago. I ended up ordering from 6thave.com, and then subsequently cancelling after they delayed my order, and I just found a couple leftover at CC (I'm up and running).

If this plays out well for you, I might be following in your footsteps ...good luck with it!

There's another thread here discussing the S3 & CableCard...think it's pretty recent.

7. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I was going to post this a week ago too... I have been dragging my feet thinking it over every day. I just can not go with an HR20. I have a freind that has one. Now, don't get me wrong... It is not bad at all. But it is NOT a TiVo. The dual buffer thing kills it for me. And the wife refuses to get anything other than a TiVo. So, TiVo it is for us. I love that she is a TiVo freak like me.

8. riddler24x7

riddler24x7 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    what is a single buffer? does this mean that the HR20 will not buffer each channel on eahc tuner at the same time? that's gonna be horrible for the avid football watcher.

9. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    I'm right behind you. Should have a working 750GB drive this week, and if that goes well, will be on Comcast for the next few months, and FiOS TV sometime early next year.

I haven't been so excited to LEAVE something in a while. The Series 3 is an awesome box, even without TTG and MRV. And CableCards in my area are working fine (direct sample size of one, but that's good enough for me).

10. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    "(direct sample size of one, but that's good enough for me)."

What does that mean?

11. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Yes, the HR20 can only buffer one channel for 90 minutes.

12. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    It means that I know only one person with a Series 3 in my neck of the Comcast woods, and he had no issues with the Cable Card install. It's only a sample-size of one, not some big pattern of success, so my install could go horribly wrong, but I hope not.

13. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    HR10-250's are still available.

14. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    One more day to take advantage of this before I go to eBay. I have had a ton of interest but no buyers.

I have already ordered my Series 3. It ships tomorrow. I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I am calling Adelphia tonight and signing up. I hope they can get here to install the day the S3 arrives.

Sooooo, At least one of the HR10's will be able to be shipped sooner than I thought.

15. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Sold one HR10 today. One left...

16. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Still one left...

17. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Well after over 50 PM's about my HR10's I have only sold one.

Tomorrow I go to eBay.

18. chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Curious what this means. Were there ever other models that could not be expanded? By expanded, I think you mean add hard drive capacity. Thanks in advance.

19. cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    DMA : 109
    Cnet rated the S3 an 8.5 out of 10, but keep in mind you cannot get PPV or free INDemand movies. For instance Comcast provides about 100 free movies that a customer can watch anytime without cost. The S3 Tivo cannot access this with a cable card.

It's possible that the cable companies like Comcast will be offering the S3 as leased replacing their own HD DVR and these units should be capable of PPV and INDemand.

Personally I would wait until the cable companies roll them out to customers and just pay the $3.99 per month leasing fee as opposed to buying it retail for $800.00 :eek:

20. coldie

coldie New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    So dumb question, but can you mention in the thread what "fair market price" is? If not shoot me a PM.

Coldie